full barrel ink absorber

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
but the cartridge is full ?...
This is NOT about the cartridges. This IS ABOUT the waste ink counter.

Error 1700 supposedly means the Waste Ink Pads are ALMOST full. Depending on your printing amount this could be anytime soon or not. No one may be able to tell you when. So, the warning is for you to be prepared for the eventual message that your Waste Ink Pads ARE FULL. The printer will stop and no further printing allowed until resolved. This means either ship to Canon Authorized Service Center or attempt to RESET the Ink Waste Pads Counter yourself.

EDIT

I saw the Canon MP550 in your signature below your avatar and thought that was the printer that is near a full waste ink counter. I now realize it isa a Canon TS5055 in question. See below post for more info.

Last edited:

marel

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mp550
ah , ok.....

I thought we could absorb the ink with something

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP7250, TS9150
ah , ok.....

Is it not possible to replace (open/close) the ink absorber of a Canon Ts 5055 or is there no counter reset sotware?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If you want to dismantle your printer - very laborious process - and then either wash out the waste ink pads or, if you can find them new, replace them then you will still need to reset the waste ink counter as I said above.

The Canon TS5055 is an odd duck concerning it not being listed as having a Service Tool in the various and usual sites I search, like eBay. This may be because it is not resettable - the so called "disposable" printers - or it hasn't been confirmed as resettable by a specific Service Tool.

Since this printer has individual color cartridges and not the "disposable" tri-color cartridge, I don't this the TS5055 is disposable concerning able to use a Service Tool.

I can see that there are Service Tools for a number of TS5000 series printers but not the specific TS5055, such as this Service Tool v.5204 on eBay:

1632439396774.png

Note there is no TS5055 listed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284255820166

Even more odd is that there are very few Google search results for "Canon TS5055" for me. Either the region of the world this printer was offered is not the profitable EU, Asia, and North America or it was a short lived printer.

But... I managed to find a Service Tool web site in Thailand, I think. This web site does list the ST5055 as resettable by several Service Tool versions.

https://resetzer.com/

All three Service Tools at the top of the home page claim working with the TS5055 printers such as the following example:

1632439944260.png

But...

I have no idea if these Service Tools will work with your printer, or, even if they recognize your specific printer, they will be able to reset your waste ink counter.

Last, using the wrong Service Tool may cause permanent blocking of access to Service Mode even if you later try the proper Service Tool.

Still, one way to look at this permanent block is that your printer wouldn't work with a full waste counter anyways. You would be buying a new printer anyway if you can't find a proper Service tool.

marel

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mp550
http://gja.frndz.pagesperso-orange.fr/technik/iP3000/inkwaste.htm....very interessant

very interesting that confirms the existence at the bottom of the printer of these reservoirs ... the author says that a reset tool is not used much because this tool does NOT EMPTY the reservoirs .... of more it is very complicated to have access to these tanks ... good to see but unfortunately there are no more pictures ...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The iP3000 is 15 to 20 years old and is a printer only, meaning no problems with removing a scanner. For this old printer no service tool is used for the reset of the absorber counter, instead a sequence of button pushes is used. but resetting a counter does not remove the ink. This applies to both the iP3000 and the TS5050.

Some say you can reset the counter without changing or cleaning the absorbers just once others say that you risk a nasty ink spill if or when the ink absorbers overflow. You decide if you want to risk the ink spill.

Here is a thread about resetting another newer Canon printer. I think the procedure is the same as for your printer.

But as your other thread shows you probably also need a new printhead for the TS5050 the best solution might be a new printer?

Last edited:

marel

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mp550
ouch! ... now I have the error 5B00 ☹️ ☹️ ☹️

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The use of a service tool can still unlock your printer, but beware: the use of a too old service tool will lock service mode of your printer so you will not be able to unlock your printer. see the warning posted by @stratman.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
now I have the error 5B00
You were warned about an impending full waste ink counter with Error 1700. Now the printer has reached a full waste ink counter with Error B500.

Either attempt resetting the waste ink counter or buy a new printer.

As @PeterBJ said, if the waste ink counter can be reset back to factory fresh "empty" then you may be able to get another round on the counter without issue, at least that seems to be the overwhelming experience of forum members. However, if you want to play it safe from ink spilling out and staining your furniture/floor, then place a tray of some sort to catch any ink that might leak.

There is little else to say. Reset or new printer.

marel

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mp550
I tried the described procedure but nothing happens, always the same message ... I therefore installed another ts5055 which only had one problem = error 1700 ... I had incorrectly positioned a sheet , so not normally output ... I made the mistake of gently pulling it out through the front panel ... then I read the manual and removed the rest from below, carefully checked = no more paper ... but she had never walked again ... so there I still have this error 1700 ... after research on the internet and on the Canon site, I do not know what to do ...