Frustrated Brother user wants to switch to Epson.

BOYNTONSTU

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I thought that my Brother MFC 465CN and the MFC 240C were the best because they used the humongous LC-51 refillable cartridges that sit outside the printer. They seem to hold 100 ml of ink.

Thus a CISS for $15.

The printers have lasted for years, reliably fed the paper, and if the heads became clogged, I printed a solid purge pattern for the 4 colors to clear the blockage.

Why am I frustrated?

I cannot clear the recently blocked head. Black and yellow OK Cyan 30% and Magenta clogged.

To clear, you must first get the head into position by starting a print and pulling the power plug.

I must remove the rear to get to the partially fed paper, grab it and pull it out.

Since the ink ports are horizontal, I have to reach in to attach the syringe tubing.

I also worry about overfilling the purge box and the absorber box.

OK The Epson gives me access to the printer head, the port is easy to service, and I understand that there is an ink absorber that I can address when full.

Question: What 4 ink Epson would you recommend that has refillable cartridges available?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Can you reach the printhead resting/cleaning pad at all? If you can then a passive clean like this would be a good option to try. From what I can see you're trying to use an active cleaning approach (ie: forcing cleaning solution into printhead) which may be damaging the printhead.

Any photos would be useful if you've got them.

Cheers,

Martin

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Id say forget Epson all together as they use a similar technology to Brother and can block in basically the same frustrating way you are experiencing.