Framed!

Ant

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6220
Does anyone have any pointers on framing solutions? I have pictures waiting to be framed/displayed and I am very limited on choice here unfortunately. I am open to making them as I am good with my hands..there's a joke in there somewhere... though I am not enthusiastic about cutting glass, I've done it before but I really don't want to get into cutting glass to size. Where do you guys get your frames? or how do you solve your mounting/framing requirements etc?

cheers Ant

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If I need to frame a photo as a gift, I usually just buy one readymade and make the image fit.. :)

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Does anyone have any pointers on framing solutions? I have pictures waiting to be framed/displayed and I am very limited on choice here unfortunately. I am open to making them as I am good with my hands..there's a joke in there somewhere... though I am not enthusiastic about cutting glass, I've done it before but I really don't want to get into cutting glass to size. Where do you guys get your frames? or how do you solve your mounting/framing requirements etc?

cheers Ant

Let us see. Frames like photographers come in all shapes, sizes and styles.

I see you are in Canada like me. If you are a cheapskate like me try Dollerama. Over 700 outlets in Canada. Should be one near you, and you can get a basic simple frame for a couple of bucks. Of course for top of the line will be substantially more.

I will write more on this later. I am pressed for time now.

Roy Sletcher

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
In the San Francisco Bay Area we have stores named "Cheap Pete." Lots of ready made frames. I have a dozen of their ready made frames and mats for hanging my prints at home. I rotate prints through them as they are easy to open from the back. I like plain black frames for these photos. They also have more interesting frames and mats as well as doing custom framing. There are several other stores with great selections of ready made frames, and they will custom cut mats with a choice of many colors.

Printing your own photos gives you the opportunity to make a print to fit a ready made frame if you wish, and you can have a custom mat made if the dimensions of the picture demand it. I did have a mat cutter that would do a nice beveled cut, but it never came out as well as having a framing store cut the mat for me.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Yes the cheap plain black frames from the cheap shops work very well for home use & look great on the wall with a matted print in them. I think I get 20"x16" to frame 13"x19" prints for under $15 each.

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
Face mounting on acrylic gives very elegant results at low cost.
If you don't have access to a laminator or mounting adhesive you can simply use two sheets of acrylic/perspex with the photo "sandwiched" between them.
You can get acrylic sheets cut to size and with holes drilled, along with the corner posts ("standoffs") at DIY stores, for probably less than what a frame/glass and the rest of the materials needed for a traditional frame would cost.