Forum Software Changes

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@Nifty

I see there are some changes with the forum software. Particularly noticeable to me are the changes to the posting controls. Will we be able to customize the controls as we like?

Oddly, since first seeing these changes, the Smiley, Quote and Media buttons are now on the bar instead of hidden behind the "More options..." vertical dots button.

What's happening?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
We're forced to do updates for software security reasons, and with those updates come software changes from the developers.

We're working to fix some of the things we do have control over, like the toolbar buttons, etc.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks for the update, Rob. Not sure why software developers change things that work, like the toolbar. I can understand if they make functions more accessible but this upgrade is a giant leap backwards for end users such as myself. Hiding Quotes and Media and moving the Smilie to potentially the most awkward spot for right handed people (all the way to the left of the toolbar) seems unhappy Fung Shui.

PS The toolbar has changed again since I posted 45 minutes ago and not necessarily for the better. :barnie

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Not sure why software developers change things that work, like the toolbar.
Ya, that's the problem with this stuff, they have a million users, and everyone disagrees with what / how things "should" be. I don't envy their jobs at all!

PS The toolbar has changed again since I posted 45 minutes ago and not necessarily for the better. :barnie
We're trying to edit the buttons on the toolbar to best reflect what buttons are used the most, but also trying to keep organization, usage on various devices, etc. in mind.

If you (or others) have specific suggestion on the order / display of the buttons, let me know. I can't promise we'll make the changes, but I can promise we'll read and review them!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
We're trying to edit the buttons on the toolbar to best reflect what buttons are used the most, but also trying to keep organization, usage on various devices, etc. in mind.
"Drafts" made the top 13??? Ahead of "Media" and "Quote"? :idunno

Reminds me of a Christmas card I sent my sister: "Virgin Birth I can believe but 3 wise men?"

Thank you for maintaining the forum. 🍎

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
"Drafts" made the top 13??? Ahead of "Media" and "Quote"? :idunno
It's a work-in-process, so if it seems most peeps use some of the options more than others, we're happy to move them around.

It's just really tricky because everyone has different ideas on their preferred buttons / options.

How's the saying go? Please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time? ;)
Thank you for maintaining the forum. 🍎
Sure! Doing the best we can :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Happy New Year, Rob.

Can you let the user decide how they want their toolbar to be arranged, like web browsers allow?

I also understand that different people like to use certain functions more than others, but Drafts rating prime real estate?

Does the software allow a single More button (instead of 4) for those functions you consider the redheaded stepchildren? This would allow more room for more functions on the top of the toolbar.

PS Did a server reset change the dates of the posts? They are all from "Tuesday". o_O

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hey, sorry I totally missed this message!

This update (like the others) is one that is basically "required". The core software (xenforo) does updates for security, bugs, etc., and they also update other core items (like the editor) and we're basically required to go along for the ride.

Can you let the user decide how they want their toolbar to be arranged, like web browsers allow?
I wish that was an option, but unfortunately no :(
I also understand that different people like to use certain functions more than others, but Drafts rating prime real estate?
Yes, it's been a nightmare trying to figure out the "best" configuration of the buttons. I'm still figuring them out, and am open to suggestions... keeping in mind it's going to be impossible to find a setup that pleases everyone.
Does the software allow a single More button (instead of 4) for those functions you consider the redheaded stepchildren? This would allow more room for more functions on the top of the toolbar.
The three "dots" next to each set of icons shows "more" icons... is that what you mean?
PS Did a server reset change the dates of the posts? They are all from "Tuesday". o_O
No, that's not something that should have happened. I'm not seeing it myself. Are you still seeing this problem? If so, can you point to some examples?

Thanks to everyone for being patient as we work through the bugs.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thank you for the reply.

The three "dots" next to each set of icons shows "more" icons... is that what you mean?
Yes and more - consolidating all the hidden "More" functions into one group (three dots) so you can place more used functions on top of the tool bar, not buried below.

can you point to some examples?
At this point I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday let alone what I saw 5 weeks ago. :idunno

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Yes and more - consolidating all the hidden "More" functions
I made my dissatisfaction on some of these new changes on anther Post to Nifty privately..
Didn’t want him blowing a gasket.. And my spring bonus..:tongue

Latest posts