Forum Rants

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Ah-ha, no ive got it all worked out...

...I have now completed the stress free life for you or rather us according to one loon. :D
You know I really can't understand why anyone would think we were the same person.. Am I really that insane?*

*My wife doesn't know what she's talking about so ignore any comments she might make!

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
You know I really can't understand why anyone would think we were the same person.. Am I really that insane?*

*My wife doesn't know what she's talking about so ignore any comments she might make!

LOL i doubt even Sigmund Freud could work out his issues. Im sure the small print will relegate you to the sofa to sleep though :D

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
There are moments, just flashes when I believe that Messers Milligan, Sellers will likely be gathered around a computer screen trawling for new material. Here they will find it in abundance.

This the last bastion of independent printer thinking, journeys by printer into Print Galaxys so far out there that they can't be found, into which others fear to go....

In our forums we rail, rant and rave at the Manufacturers ink pricing and the subversion of the Home printer, We trial use and abuse 3rd party inks, subject them to rigours real life testing and in one fell swoop show ourselves to be no more than the mythical lemming.

What ink does one use if you are going to sell your prints?.......not the ink we know works well, will last as long, if not better, Oh no! use OEM to be sure............I see what you are saying but I don' believe my eyes.
I am sitting at that screen with Messers Milligan and Sellers looking over MY shoulder and I am shaking my head in disbelief, and belly laughing to be sure.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
All of my own WORK ! !

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLllFqBuTM0WI0fC_PujkGoLMyXWXd3yF7

Looking at this Video Tutorial that @Emulator posted above reminded me just why I don’t use any profiling or editing on any of my few photos that I print.

Here is the actual photo that Anthony Morganti used in his demonstration to show how he improved the photo beyond all recognition, brightness and contrast is one thing but this !
fiddle 1.PNG fiddle 2.PNG Click to enlarge.

I understand the need to use profiling get your colours right when printing any photo but altering your photos in this way is nothing shot of cheating in my mind, I reckon it’s much the same as steeling a photo from another website and claiming it was all your own photography skills.

I believe you take that single shot or many more if you’re not happy with the first attempt, but then to take them into a photo App. to apply artificial elements that weren’t there in the first place is removing the art out of photography altogether.

A poor craftsman or artist will always blame his tools for letting him down when rightful criticism is applied to his shoddy work, it’s much like the introduction of electro produced stereo.

Rant over.. :rant :rant

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of my own WORK ! !

Looking at this Video Tutorial that @Emulator posted above reminded me just why I don’t use any profiling or editing on any of my few photos that I print.

Here is the actual photo that Anthony Morganti used in his demonstration to show how he improved the photo beyond all recognition, brightness and contrast is one thing but this !
View attachment 2680 View attachment 2681

I understand the need to use profiling get your colours right when printing any photo but altering your photos in this way is nothing shot of cheating in my mind, I reckon it’s much the same as steeling a photo from another website and claiming it was all your own photography skills.

I believe you take that single shot or many more if you’re not happy with the first attempt, but then to take them into a photo App. to apply artificial elements that weren’t there in the first place is removing the art out of photography altogether.

A poor craftsman or artist will always blame his tools for letting him down when rightful criticism is applied to his shoddy work, it’s much like the introduction of electro produced stereo.

@The Hat you cant bring out anything that is not already there. If the photographer had a medium format camera he would have the dynamic range to capture nearer as seen. No more has been done than Ansel Adam did in the wet darkroom anyway.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
All of my own WORK ! !

View attachment 2680 View attachment 2681

The so called improved picture to me looks an unnatural mess, without even going to his youtube videos i can guess half of what has been done to that image, Sharpness whacked up, RGB intensity jacked up (he went too far with red), white/black level/balance played with as just starters.

The tree leafs (particularly the tree furthest away) and clouds now have no depth and everything looks like it was the same focus point (no difference between foreground and background) . Red has been jacked up too far resulting in the sun set looking more like a forest fire and breaks in the clouds where the sun shines through looking like something from an end of the world is coming movie. Im not even going to touch on the probably janky texture filter used for the stone structure. Id use the vomit emoticon if we had one here :D

If Michael Bay is/was reading he would no doubt be proud of the paint by numbers overly digitally altered metaphoric rape that has been done to the image. He has been doing the same butcher work to franchises for years.

Last edited:

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
We ran an exhibition of 'digital prints' about 11 years ago when film was on its last legs. I had to frame and hang a succession of vapid Day-Glo photo-chop horrors similar to the above.

I've had the great fortune to frame and hang wet-process prints by some of the UK's best-known photogs, and everyone of them produces B&W work which blows Morganti's Day-Glo digi-graphs into the shredder.

As Morganti inadvertently demonstrates, digital editors can be used to excess.

~~~

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
So, fellow ranters, what is your take on the use of polarizing filters with color film? They did intensify the blues in the sky to bring out clouds, create the appearance of night shots when taken during the day, and they were very effective in changing the quality of reflections. Comments also on the use of filters with B/w films to "pop" the foliage? Were these filters, used in "pre-processing" of film images, the image altering equivalent of the current use of post-processing of digital images, or do you regard them as part of the artistic, creative production of the primary image as it is created?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Back then guys were using their knowledge, skill and experience to enhance their shot before they even pointed their camera, so yes I would say they were real time artists at their work.

Like a Magician he can easily make something disappear but can’t materialise something he didn’t have in the first place, I.E. “Morganti” :oops:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Crap digital neg still cant be made into a winner, nothing has changed since film.
Need to remember that digital has less dynamic range than the eye so the good photographer calibrates then processes. Also on screen is srgb ...jpg any comment on colour rendition is (with respect) at best uninformed twaddle. Need to see a print in order to make a meaningful comment on colours.
Further, nothing wrong with no post processing. However, a good image can be made great with tweeking.

Last edited: