Forum Organization Ideas & Feedback Needed

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hey everybody! We would like to proceed with cleaning up the organization of the categories and sub-forums within those categories.

Below is the proposed hierarchical organization. Please provide feedback on sections that should be added, removed, or changed:

Forum -WELCOME-
-- Nifty-Stuff Printer Forum Announcements & Feedback

InkJet Printers
-- Refilling Canon InkJet Printers
-- Refilling Epson InkJet Printers
-- Refilling HP InkJet Printers
-- Refilling Other Brands InkJet Printers (Lexmark, Dell, etc.)
-- Troubleshooting Inkjet Printer Problems
-- Ink & Cartridge Suppliers - Questions & Feedback
-- InkJet Continuous Ink Supply Systems
-- Everything Else InkJet Printer Related

Laser Printers
-- Refilling Laser Printers
-- Troubleshooting Laser Printer Problems
-- Toner & Cartridge Suppliers - Questions & Feedback
-- Everything Else Laser Printer Related

Miscellaneous

-- Printing Photos and Photo Software
-- Paper & Other Media
-- Everything Else Printer Relate
-- New member introductions
-- Random Ramblings (place to discuss non-printer related topics)

We hope to start making these changes in the next few weeks! Once we solidify the categories / forums we'll begin moving old topics into the various sections where appropriate.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Rob,

I suggest to increase the upload limit for inkjet masters (like me :)), as I am serious heading towards the upload limit very soon and I want to post extra interesting pictures for all of us. Maybe 25 MB to begin with ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Yes Rob, bump up the limits on PM mail also, its to low at present..:(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
These are just some edited ideas I had to improve your suggestion Topic list ..:)

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Honestly I don't think the board is busy enough anymore to need that many subdivisions... there's only an average of 3-5 posts per day on the Refilling section.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I agree with The Hat in the need for a "Sticky" post section where the foundational and educational data can be stored for easy access. The Sticky post threads would include information such as the methods to refill the various cartridge models, ink and equipment found beneficial/ recommended, and techniques to diagnose and fix common issues such as clogs and print head failures. The Sticky area could repost the entirety or only part of a hashed out thread already in existence on the forum, or, the Sticky could be just a brief description of the contents with a link to the forum post.

I don't know where the best place would be for the following, Sticky or as a sub-thread under its printer manufacturer thread, but an Printer Error thread may be useful.

I don't know who would decide what would be a Sticky but I think the above suggestions would help those members constantly reinventing the wheel each time someone asks for assistance with a common issue. The Sticky area would be locked to new posts to anyone but you or a moderator given permission in order to prevent congestion and confusion.

Thank you for your consideration, Rob.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Is there a less cumbersome way of deleting messages from the list?

It looks like there is a box to the left of the message header to tick for selecting one or more messages to delete at one time from the list, but I can not do that as it is greyed-out. Instead I had to bring up each message individually, click on delete and then confirm the delete.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
stratman said:
Look for "Delete multiple" on the right of the page, under the "Send new message'. Click on it and you can choose the messages to delete.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Thanks for the great replies and thoughts guys!

First off, I've doubled the space for everyone to upload images: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=47581#p47581

Regarding "Sticky Threads" We're working on a great new system that will provide a much better way for people to post and collaborate on information. We're still a ways away from testing and launch, but it will be fantastic!

Regarding Forum Reorganization: We definitely need to find the balance between too many and too few categories. The categorization we have now needs to change, but the question definitely remains, "What should we change the categorization to?"

I'm totally fine with grouping some of the suggested sections.

Here is TheHat's suggestions mostly integrated with the ones above:

Forum -WELCOME-
-- Nifty-Stuff Printer Forum Announcements & Feedback

InkJet Printers
-- Canon InkJet Printers - Refilling & Troubleshooting
-- Epson InkJet Printers - Refilling & Troubleshooting
-- Refilling & Troubleshooting (HP, Lexmark, Dell, etc.)
-- Other Brand's InkJet Printers - Troubleshooting Inkjet Printer Problems
-- Ink & Cartridge Suppliers - Questions & Feedback
-- InkJet Continuous Ink Supply Systems
-- Everything Else InkJet Printer Related

Laser Printers
-- Refilling & Troubleshooting Laser Printers
-- Everything Else Laser Printer Related

Miscellaneous
-- Printing Photos, Photo Software, Paper & Other Media
-- Everything Else Printer Related
-- New member introductions & Random Ramblings (place to discuss non-printer related topics)

My thoughts (PLEASE DISCUSS!)

1) I like the idea of combining Refilling & Troubleshooting for each brand.
2) It may make sense to combine Suppliers, CIS, and Everything Else InkJet Printer Related
3) I've got mixed feelings on combining HP with the other brands, but I'm out of the loop regarding which brands are most popular and which ones are relabeled versions of each other. Which brands should be broken out and which ones combined?
4) I'm not sure I want to combine refilling and troubleshooting of laser printers, but since that isn't very frequented, it probably makes sense for now.
5) I'm fine with combining photos, software, paper, etc.

None of this is going to be set in stone, so we can make the changes as best we think we should and see how they are and then revisit the decisions a year from now, etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas, I really lean on the comments from the experts in this community on the direction we want to go.

Cheers!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Tudor said:
stratman said:
Look for "Delete multiple" on the right of the page, under the "Send new message'. Click on it and you can choose the messages to delete.
THANK YOU!