Forum Organization Ideas & Feedback Needed

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Ok, I'm moving forward with the list found here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=47582#p47582

Basically moving toward sorting information by Brand.

I'm wondering if the following should also be broken out into the different brand sections as well or kept separate?

-- Ink & Cartridge Suppliers - Questions & Feedback
-- InkJet Continuous Ink Supply Systems

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
nifty-stuff.com said:
I'm wondering if the following should also be broken out into the different brand sections as well or kept separate?

-- Ink & Cartridge Suppliers - Questions & Feedback
-- InkJet Continuous Ink Supply Systems
I think a few sticky topics regarding often-discussed suppliers could help organize things without the danger of overcategorization.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
To clarify, I'm not suggesting we have an additional brand section for Cart / ink suppliers and CIS. I'm wondering if those should be kept separate as they are, or removed and the topics folded into these sections:

-- Canon InkJet Printers - Refilling & Troubleshooting
-- Epson InkJet Printers - Refilling & Troubleshooting
-- Refilling & Troubleshooting (HP, Lexmark, Dell, etc.)

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I vote for removed and folded into the new brand sections. From my experience in participating & lurking in the forum, topics regarding aftermarket materials are almost always related to a specific OEM.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Phase 1 is complete!!!

PHEW!

:th

Over the last few hours I've been VERY busy! In addition to creating a bunch of brand specific forums, I've also moved 4,054 topics all over the place!

Hopefully this will make navigating the forum and submitting / reviewing questions WAY WAY easier and much more intuitive!

There is still more work to do, but the majority of the "hard stuff" is done!

Question: Should "Ink & Cartridge Suppliers " and "InkJet CISS" should also be broken out into the different brand sections as well or kept separate?

We only moved the more recent and most "popular" (by post count) topics. If there are recent or popular topics that we missed, please click the report button and in the notes add which forum the topic should be moved to.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed!

Cheers!

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, lots of threads serve more than one brand. For example, many Canon and HP cartridges are very similar, and there is a lot of discussion on principles of filling. Furthermore, if I have a refilling or print head problem with my HP printer, I rely very much on Canon people to help. Looking at the sparse number of posts in the HP section, I'm not sure this is going to work out.

I see there's yet another section for non-brand-specific questions, but that is populated largely by brand-specific questions.

Too late now, I guess. Expect a lot of cross posting or posting where you don't expect it, I think. These topics are pretty fragmented now. I'm not sure this is going to work very well.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Thanks for the feedback. We discussed the pros and cons and that exact issue came up. We decided that the "which printer should I buy" and non-printer specific discussions would go in the "Everything Else InkJet Printer Related" section, which is basically the catchall we had before.

We definitely don't want to see cross posting, so if we run into a lot of cases where people are trying to fit square pegs in round holes we can find ways to accommodate those situations.

Forum structure is tricky and there are always going to be tradeoffs. Again, we tried very hard to weigh the pros and cons and the current structure continued to come out as the best combination of increasing pros and mitigating cons. :)

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
mr ....
if you could please add anything to determine if post contain pictures or not ??

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Please Sir.. :)
Any chance you could give the members a bit more room on their PM
Its pretty small and it tends to fill up quite fast.. :hugs