Flushing old carts TODAY - Algae killer pre treatment?

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm flushing old carts TODAY - Any ideas on what I could use as an "non hazardous" Algae killer pre treatment?
Fill with vinegar first, or something like that?

:/

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Bleach works, dilute a 1/4 cup to a gallon of water and flush with that and then rinse thoroughly.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You really don't need it. You ink should have the ability to keep algae at bay. What ink are you using?

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think I posted on another post Leo - Various old carts I've collected that I know nothing about - age/ink contents, but it's a bunch of free Canon carts that I can use new ink in.

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
For me flushing with isopropyl alcohol+ammonia+distilled water followed by comprehensive rinsing with distilled water always seem to work.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can prevent bacteria from growing in your cartridges or in your head. I had a problem with certain inks that grew bacteria in the cartridges and in the head between the inlet screen and the jet ports. Here is a link to my previous post: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=16189#p16189

To keep bacteria from forming in my ink I add a little alcohol to my ink before refilling cartridges. I think the alcohol finally solved the bacteria problem, I haven't had problems since I switched ink vendors and adding alcohol to my bulk inks.

Before adding alcohol to my bulk inks I had bacterial goop growing in almost all my inks except pigmented black.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
If you have algae and bacteria growing your ink, then the problem is your supplier/manufacturer. Good quality ink contains enough preservatives and chelators preventing bacteria and algae from growing for several years. The minimal autopreservative concentration of alcohol is about 20 %, that's the reason that any wine/liquor with a concentration above 18 % can be kept for decades without spoiling. Why normal wine can not contain more alcohol than 15-16 %, because the yeast inside producing the alcohol from the sugars will be killed off when the alcohol concentration is increasing over time.