Flushing device

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I used a German method on the 5PGBK and Cli-8s for filling & flushing, a modified syringe with a 50mm needle and control valve adapted onto a garden hose with heatshrink tubing (internal glue type).I have changed the type of syringe to one with locking system for the needle so avoiding any loose needles spearing around, hose out the residual ink (almost like reverse liposuction) when finished run a couple of syringes of distilled water through the sponge, then a syringe of PHARMACISTs flushing liquid, with a small air compressor use the drilled hole to blow out any remaining water from the sponge. With a 50mm needle the tank port can be reached to refill with ink. This method is best done outside to keep sweet with the Cook..

The best supply of 6% propylene glycol is a Chemist or drug store.
This was almost doubled in volume with distilled water then the isopropyl alcohol added
several sponges from sacrificial cartridges were tried with straight isopropyl alcohol ,water and flushing liquid then dried out in the sun (very easy to dry when they are out of the cart) then tests were carried out to see how fast the ink absorbed into the sponge, the sponge that had the best rate was the one done with the flushing liquid followed by the water only (probably residual glycol) then the alcohol one.

PHARMACISTs flushing liquid
-3 % propylene glycol
-20 % isopropyl alcohol
-distilled water up to 100 %

3565_p9140851cs.jpg

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
It looks like an enema for mice :)

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi
I have decided to come up with a more practical device for flushing carts, this one uses a fire extinguisher head as the control valve. The original model was a bit tricky to regulate the flow.
Drop around to your local fire equipment servicing agent and beg, borrow or otherwise obtain an old stored pressure water extinguisher head then head for a plumbing supplies store, then its up to your imagination.

The needle is shown fully inserted in the cart ready to flush

3565_p9141977b.jpg

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Your inlet hole for refilling seems awfully high up. I haven't been refilling long with the German method but I put my hole as far down as possible, right next to the bottom of the cartridge. I use a blunt needle. It slides right beneath the sponge and does not pierce the sponge at all. Why do you put your hole so high up? Isn't it hard to target the hole at the bottom of the reservoir?

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Propylene glycol is not vehicle anti freeze-it is RV antifreeze used to keep pipes from freezing and is not toxic. Ethylene glycol is vehicle anti freeze and is toxic. don't use it because if a pet or child injests it it can kill.

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi
I use the purge,refill hole higher up as it avoids the output filter, after a few fills there seems to be a channel and the needle slips in very easy.
Time taken to refill 5 carts is 12 min including cleaning syringe between colours.

Point taken on Ethylene glycol I hve modified the text.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
billkunert said:
Ethylene glycol is vehicle anti freeze and is toxic. don't use it because if a pet or child injests it it can kill.
Kills adults too.

One treatment for ethylene glycol poisoning is EtOH, AKA booze. WHEEEE!

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
stratman said:
billkunert said:
Ethylene glycol is vehicle anti freeze and is toxic. don't use it because if a pet or child injests it it can kill.
Kills adults too.

One treatment for ethylene glycol poisoning is EtOH, AKA booze. WHEEEE!
I didn't mention adults because I assumed they knew better than to drink the stuff.