First use / Setup of PRO100 WITHOUT OEM cartridges ¿Possible¿

canonball

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO9000 PRO100 STYLUS7800
I have a brand new PRO100 - if I don't have genuine OEM Canon cartridges installed for the first ever use, will I be able to set the printer up and begin using the thing?
I found a similar thread about this but it doesn't look like any one was quite sure at that juncture

I must not be the only one who would like to know this...

Thanks !

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
I have quite a few pro 100 bodies because the guy i buy them from gets one every other month so i pay 100 bucks so i can have the ink, printheads and pack of 13x19 paper.
I asked this question some time back and finally setup one with cartridges that are refilled with Precision ink.
They are Canon carts, but not the ones that say setup on them.
Worked just fine.
This particular body had a squeak in it for some reason so was set back in it's box for a later day.

canonball

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hmm
So that confirms that I don't have to have setup or new carts ..

Has anyone tried the initial first time setup with non canon carts??

What I'm trying to figure out is, if I sell the oem carts instead of using them, then, will I be sorry that I had done that

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
then, will I be sorry that I had done that
@canonball, you are being penny wise and pound foolish with your idea on how to make a fast buck, and it will come back and bite you in the ass.

Running a Pro 100 on anything other than OEM carts is down foolhardy and will end in the loss of your print head, and that’s not hear say, it’s a fact.

Refillable carts will only work for a very short time, in other words till you become comfortable using them and then the problems start when you’re not looking and least expect them too.

Here’s another shock for your system, if you intend using the Pro 100 for your everyday printer, then you’re going to need at least two sets of OEM carts not just one, if this doesn’t suite you then my advice is to sell the carts, print head and carcass separately, now that will make you real money...

canonball

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Mr. Hat,

I can appreciate that you probably are right about everything you've said. I don't want to operate with non oem cartridges and I know it won't go as well but I'm in the middle of nowhere with half of nothing so every dollar counts!

The PRO9000 shouldn't be used with a CISS and I managed to get hundreds of prints out if it .. nice ones.. I was hoping I could manage the same thing with the PRO100 as the heads are pretty tough if you know what you're doing..... you are saying I won't be able to, though?

With the PRO9000 all I had to do was pay attention and not do unattended prints. The flow of ink is your coolant for your head as I understand it so if you let it print dry you'll destroy the thing, right? That is your main concern, isn't it?

I will bow to your wisdom on the points you've made and I definitely appreciate your having taken the time to thoroughly address that part of my question ...

I don't mean to make you tear our your hair or any thing but with that in mind I still would like to know for certain whether or not I would be able to go down the path of using aftermarket carts for set up- bad idea or not..

One thing is that I'll be at least using good ink no matter what happens- I've ordered decent sized jugs from PC. That is good ink.

Looks like I have $40 in this PRO100 and I have more of them coming soon anyway so I'll live if it doesn't make it. Of course I have to also consider, wait a minute, how much am I losing if I destroy it - as you've said I could probably sell the thing for some decent money ..
Hmm

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
To the best of my recollection, no one has reported using aftermarket cartridge/chips to install a new Canon Pro-100. We are always grateful to hear from those that boldly go where no one has gone before, such as installing a new Pro-100 using 3rd party chipped cartridges, but are reluctant to even suggest trying this procedure since the printer is a magnificent beast.

If you do decide to try this method of installation I am sure we would all like to hear your results. However, I am going to also recommend you bite the bullet and use the supplied OEM Canon cartridges for installation and then refilling. Nothing beats OEM cartridges for reliability and longevity.

canonball

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
I was thinking maybe I could sell the full ones and buy some empty oem ones but apparently that's not going to work ...

Y'all are telling me the same things the person I trust most on printing advice says so I know you guys are right

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Using resat and refilled OEM cartridges cartridges for the setup should work in theory, but some speculate there are data in the chip that are not resat, and the printer might be able to discern between resat and new OEM cartridges and that if Canon wanted to they could block the use of resetters via a firmware update.

If you try using refilled and reset OEM cartridges for the setup please report your results.

Before refilling check out the special problems with the CLI-42 Y cartridge ("Yellow Jello").

canonball

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes I have been meaning to ask about that yellow cartridge issue .. I need to read up on that

What I decided to do is throw caution to the winds and just sell the OEM carts .. I can clear about $50 on that since they go for $85-$100 and if the aftermarket junk ones don't flow nicely I'll just sell the head for another $50-100

That'll get me right on my $50 investment either way and I hate returning anything but if they don't work well I feel that I am not doing anything untoward in sending them back
I can't stand people who make little reasons for returns.. lol!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have a Canon MG5150. This printer uses the PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges. With resat and refilled OEM cartridges installed I can get access to the "Canon Creative Park Premium" website. If I install a set of aftermarket cartridges the printer functions normally and the ink monitoring is working, but if I try to access the "Canon Creative Park Premium" website access is denied.

This shows the printer can detect non-OEM cartridges
. This makes me think that resat and refilled OEM CLI-42 cartridges might work for the setup, but aftermarket cartridges most likely will not work for the setup..

Last edited: