First use / Setup of PRO100 WITHOUT OEM cartridges ¿Possible¿

just2print

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1400; Epson Artisan 837
Mr. Hat,

I can appreciate that you probably are right about everything you've said. I don't want to operate with non oem cartridges and I know it won't go as well but I'm in the middle of nowhere with half of nothing so every dollar counts!

The PRO9000 shouldn't be used with a CISS and I managed to get hundreds of prints out if it .. nice ones.. I was hoping I could manage the same thing with the PRO100 as the heads are pretty tough if you know what you're doing..... you are saying I won't be able to, though?

With the PRO9000 all I had to do was pay attention and not do unattended prints. The flow of ink is your coolant for your head as I understand it so if you let it print dry you'll destroy the thing, right? That is your main concern, isn't it?

I will bow to your wisdom on the points you've made and I definitely appreciate your having taken the time to thoroughly address that part of my question ...

I don't mean to make you tear our your hair or any thing but with that in mind I still would like to know for certain whether or not I would be able to go down the path of using aftermarket carts for set up- bad idea or not..

One thing is that I'll be at least using good ink no matter what happens- I've ordered decent sized jugs from PC. That is good ink.

Looks like I have $40 in this PRO100 and I have more of them coming soon anyway so I'll live if it doesn't make it. Of course I have to also consider, wait a minute, how much am I losing if I destroy it - as you've said I could probably sell the thing for some decent money ..
Hmm

just2print

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1400; Epson Artisan 837
I have a Pro100 that has never been out of the box. I've had it at least 2 years. I have experience only with Epson printers, which print images and design projects beautifully. I lost my r1400 to clogging problems and gave it away regretfully. I have always used after market/refillable ink carts with success. I refuse to pay OEM prices for ink . But it sounds like this Canon Pro100 is so finicky I have apprehension about working with it. I don't print enough now to keep down the clogged ink problem. But I would like to have the 9 x 13" option the Pro 100 offers. I am following the discussion here for information and instruction; and would appreciate advice and comments. It sounds very tedious to prepare the Canon ink carts for refilling.

Joe Soap

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10
@just2print, if you were happy using aftermarket refillable cartridges in your Epson 1400, then why not continue doing the same with the Pro 100, but purchase the prefilled cartridges to use once then the worries about refilling the OEM cartridges would be gone.

You can still learn the technique of refilling the OEM’s later, when you have more time to practice and be in no hurry to refill them, and make a total balls of the operation... ;)