First use / Setup of PRO100 WITHOUT OEM cartridges ¿Possible¿

canonball

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO9000 PRO100 STYLUS7800
FFS this reminds me of APCO-25
Everything is a lot less accessible and far more controlled these days that's for sure

canonball

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
I should just try to sell these cartridges without the chips. Invariably I'd plaster all over the listing DOES NOT COME WITH CHIPS and show closeups with NO CHIPS written on some paper and some doofy buyer would start a return saying CARTRIDGES WON'T WORK or PRINTER DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THESE, MUST BE FAKE
Etc
LoL

Is there a FS forum for printer stuff?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Please don't do this. Please either keep the cartridges or sell them intact in unopened foil packing.

Some speculate that the reason for the setup cartridges is to prevent bargain priced printers being split up into cartridges, printhead and printer body sold separately at a profit.

Last edited:

canonball

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
I don't want to man I'd like to try the OEM ink set
I bet it's really good

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
If it turns out that the "setup" cartridges sold with the printer are indeed different and not using them initially prevents using a resetter, I would think that having one set of these would be good enough for multiple Pro 100 printers. Then ,just using that set once on any new Pro 100 would suffice. Yes? No?

And if a resetter did not work with a "non-setup" set of cartridges used first, would a
"setup" set used after that allow a resetter to then be used?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I would think that having one set of these would be good enough for multiple Pro 100 printers. Then ,just using them once on any new Pro 100 would suffice. Yes? No?
There’s no reason in the world to think, why your idea would not work...:)

canonball

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
There’s no reason in the world to think, why your idea would not work...:)

I'm not sure about that. You really made me think with this post the other day. I am gettin' too old for that **** so stop it :)

canonball

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
SO HERE IS WHAT HAD HAPPENED WITH THIS

1:
I sold the PRO100 OEM cartridges. Right on schedule I got stuck for $18 of the $90 I sold them for, by a buyer who completely ignored the photographs and description and condition description field, which to his credit- the guy was at least nice enough to not open a dispute on eBay so that was nice.
Usually these outside eBay extortion messages are generally some teenage scam artist but this guy seemed like he DID have good intentions but just didn't care what the listing/pictures said or what terms we agreed to or anything.. you know, your usual customer in 2017
Hey at least he was nice about the whole thing.. Right?
I cleared $60 on that little outing

2: Meanwhile I spend $40 on refillable cartridges

3: In the interim I spend $65 on ink from Precision Color

4: I'm over here putting the printer together and badly filling terribly the refillable cartridges and everything is finally together (before that I had put the head and one cart in just to see to it that I had an operational machine which might possibly let me do anything)

5: Everything is together, aftermarket refillables installed, driver installed, it does a cycle of something and BAM it's working fine without even complaining or giving me any nag screens or anything. IT DOES ALLOW FIRST SETUP WITH AFTERMARKET CARTRIDGES. It then let me do nozzle check/alignment and that worked fine.

So now we have the answer in case anyone else ever wants to find this out.

I can't say that I know what I am doing much less can I even venture a guess at what will happen in terms of potential issues or what will happen with the longevity of the print head, and I don't recommend this to any one yet.
Another thing to maybe consider is that I may, as someone had mentioned, be missing some software or features. I haven't seen much of any software installed at ALL and there's hardly anything popping up to say anything.

I can definitively say that I LOVE THIS PRINTER THUS FAR. I am pretty sure that this may be THE BEST ink I've ever tried, as well. Precision Colors is awesome as far as I can tell thus far.

canonball

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Looks like I'm into this $95
Looks like I would have been into it $125 keeping the OEM carts and buying a resetter

My opinion at this juncture is that everyone was right and that I should have kept the OEM cartridges and purchased a resetter. This is after fighting with refillable cartridges for quite some time. They're a get the hang of it type of ordeal. For sure.

RocDoc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I switched to Precision colors ink 2+ years ago. Used the OEM cart except for the yellow.

Works fine, no clogged heads, no print head failures. Takes about 30-60 seconds to refill a cart and reset the chip. It has been accurate when telling me to re-fill.

The only issue I have run into was the tiny rubber stoppers to re-seal. They stick out a bit to far. Simple fix was cover the stopper with a short piece of electrical tape to make sure thy stay in.

While I do have it color profiled with a colormunki, I rarely use it for photographs. ( I use a IPF6300 for that).

I would not hesitate to do it again.