First time refilling black cartridge pixma mg 2120

zipperup

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
This is my first try at refilling a cartridge and have been reading a lot about resetting chips. I asked the ink kit seller about the chip reset and did I need to buy a special cartridge, his reply was there
is no problem just override the indicator light. I haven't recieved my ink kit yet but I think I need to know how to override the indicator light to allow printing, or how to reset the chip in the original
cartridge. Any help will be much appreciated.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
zipperup said:
This is my first try at refilling a cartridge and have been reading a lot about resetting chips. I asked the ink kit seller about the chip reset and did I need to buy a special cartridge, his reply was there
is no problem just override the indicator light. I haven't recieved my ink kit yet but I think I need to know how to override the indicator light to allow printing, or how to reset the chip in the original
cartridge. Any help will be much appreciated.
To be honest filling these tri color cartridge is never going to a huge success.
If would be better for you to use compatibles prefilled cartridges than to constantly refill your OEM cartridges.

The other problem youll face is that if you let these cartridges run out of ink
they will not refill properly for you so I think you'll have problems either way.

To disable the ink monitoring on your printer is fairly easy but youll have to wait till you get the out of ink on screen warning to do so first,
when it appears just hold in the resume button (Flashing Orange) for five to six seconds and then release and you can then continue to print.

Printers that have individual cartridges for each colour are better for refilling and easier to use.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Hey, you might as well try and be a pioneer. The good news is that your print head is disposable, so you can't really ruin an expensive one.

You can probably just inject ink into the sponges from the top. The problem is that it's difficult to know how much of each color to add, without overfilling or underfilling. I suppose you could fill each color until it's chock-full and running out the top, then withdraw a certain amount, if you can figure out how much. This may be tricky in practice.

If you overfill, you can have ink running out the printhead so it makes a mess. It may even run into an adjacent color and cross-contaminate it. I would leave the cartridge out a few minutes to make sure it's not dripping.

If you have a separate black cartridge, you can determine the correct level by weighing it. For best results you should weigh a new cartridge, then refill to the same weight each time. You can buy very cheap, but very good scales with 100 g capacity, that weigh to the nearest 0.01 g.

rogert

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have only a little experience at filling carts, but why can't you use your black OEM cart until it indicates almost out of ink ? Pull the cart, inject slowly about 8 ml of ink, wait a couple of hours, reinstall it, do a head cleaning & you should be good to go for awhile. This method has worked for me....most of the time. Just don't let your heads dry out during that 2 hr wait.