first head clog but I think I need a new print head

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hi All,

after 2 years of refilling I am experiencing the first head clog (pigment black) of my MP980 printer, not even a tiny line is printed on the test page (all other colors are printing fine)

I left head some 3 weeks ago in good working order

I tried cleaning it with a piece of tissue in hot water but nothing

Sprayed window cleaner for a week but nothing

filled cartrige with ammonium (almost pure) and tried head cleaning/printing but nothing

I don't think it's an electrical fault because if I gently force water through the head id does not pass whilst it does if I force water into the color print heads.

any advice please ?

can I print color photos in high quality without the pigment black ?

THANKS !!!

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Pigment black ink is typically only used for black text. None would be used during photo printing, but try it and see if you are satisfied.

If you can't get water to pass through the black nozzles injecting from the inlet screen side, that's really strong evidence of a badly clogged print head, but it would be worthwhile testing your purge unit for functionality anyhow.

Whose black pigment inks are you using?

Wayne

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
thanks foyr your reply.

I cannot pass water injecting it from the screen side, but am starting to doubt the purge unit, dropping water on it I can see a water puddle and is almost gone if i perform a head clean, am saying almost beaunse it's not as dry as the color purge block

shall I put amonium on the pigment purge block maybe it cleans itself better ?

I use hobicolor color ink for more then 2 years and never cleaned the heads cos they were working correctly

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I don't know what ammonium is (ammonia water?).

Try Windex instead.

Wayne

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
update:

printer started printing black (pigment) ink again 2 hours after I injected ammonium into a cartridge and did 5 to 10 deep cleaning (the print test patterrn is almost complete only missing one or 2 lines)

the problem is the purge unit. the black pigment purge unit is still full of ammonium after various head cleaning, whilst the color is clean and dry

is there a solution to clean it (without tearing of the mp980 please ?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Your purge unit is probably clogged (by hobbicolors black pigment ink, imagine that). If continued soaking on the purge parking pad does not clear it, the printer will need to be dis assembled to investigate and repair it. Not an easy job. Sorry.

Wayne

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne

Does any one know where to get a service manual for the mp980 please ? . . In case external cleaning fails

Thanks to all

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
After filling the purge blocks with ammonia based solution and did a head cleaning cycle the black purge block is still full of the solution.

Removed the tiny purge blocks and cleaned them. Did a head cleaning and there was plenty of ink on them. Does it mean that the purge unit is sucking ink from the print head ?

The print test is showing some missing lines on pigment black (color is ok)

Thanks

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
It is possible that the print head nozzles are wicking up some of the puddle on the pad and printing with that residue. At least that shows your print head is functional. If that is the case, repeated printing of nozzle checks (spaced out in time so the nozzles do not overheat) will cause the black to eventually fade away. Alternately, you could flood the pigment parking pad with cyan or magenta ink and see if it is a wicking issue.

If you carefully blot the print head against a tissue (or paper towel) multiple times, does pigment black reliably show up on the tissue repeatedly? If it does, then there is ink behind the nozzles.

BUT...the pigment parking pad should be just as dry as the color pad after head cleaning.....so it appears to me you still have a purge unit issue...

Wayne