Fine Art Archival Printing

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
New Avatar: I figured ink was more interesting. :rolleyes:

I think the scanner of the moment appears to be the Epson V550. 35mm and medium format too.

These fine 'soot & whitewash' images appeared in one of the news-rags this week. This one is 'The Smallest Shop in the World' from Soho, London, 1930's.

2nkjsw9.jpg

Last edited:

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I think the scanner of the moment appears to be the Epson V550. 35mm and medium format too.

These fine 'soot & whitewash' images appeared in one of the news-rags this week. This one is 'The Smallest Shop in the World' from Soho, London, 1930's.
Good choice for the price on the scanner. Nearly the same specs as my old epson but includes ICE for dust reduction. Using ICE does slow down the process, but it may save more than enough time in post-scan processing. I like the lack of warm-up time as that is something of a nuisance. I don't know what it costs in the UK. It is something less than $200 US here.

Great picture - really a wonderful period piece.

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
One can spend a lot on a neg. scanner. But I scanned all my old negs years ago, so I'm a little out of touch. I haven't used the V550 so my experience is from YouTube. :)

I do have a Canon Lide 700F which purports to scan 35mm negs, but it does them one frame at a time and is Very Annoying in use. You position a light box over each frame to scan. The V550 has a light in the lid, I believe, and scans strips at a time.

My client, the VFP, has been nudged into buying one, so when/if he does and I've printed A3 from the results, I might be able to give an opinion. They are about £160 over here, about the price of an afternoon's parking in London.
~~

The VFP received the framed prints yesterday, and phoned to say he was stunned by the results. They were A3 and A3+ B&W prints from 300 dpi scans, but printed on Ilford Galerie Pearl. However, they used the cheap 'no-brand' dye inks in my IX6850; should we go to 2700 ppi scans and a Pro-1 piggy printer, he must expect all his birthdays to arrive at once. :weee:weee

Last edited:

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I do have a Canon Lide 700F which purports to scan 35mm negs, but it does them one frame at a time and is Very Annoying in use. You position a light box over each frame to scan. The V550 has a light in the lid, I believe, and scans strips at a time.

My client, the VFP, has been nudged into buying one, so when/if he does and I've printed A3 from the results, I might be able to give an opinion. They are about £160 over here, about the price of an afternoon's parking in London.

The VFP received the framed prints yesterday, and phoned to say he was stunned by the results. They were A3 and A3+ B&W prints from 300 dpi scans, but printed on Ilford Galerie Pearl. However, they used the cheap 'no-brand' dye inks in my IX6850; should we go to 2700 ppi scans and a Pro-1 piggy printer, he must expect all his birthdays to arrive at once.
You've got it right. The V550 does have a light in the lid. There is an insert that covers it when doing reflective scans. You remove the insert cover and use the film strip holders and software setting for transparency scans. Only difficult the first time, after which you will find the technique quite easy. Using the expert level (I think that is the nomenclature for the level with most controls in the Epson scanner software) requires a bit of experimentation to get the best scans from each neg, positive color slide, or reflective scan. Again, with little experimentation you will easily get the hang of it. You can also experiment to find the optimal DPI for your scans. Too large a file may be overkill and also tax the limits of your computer memory and post-processing software. In addition, the larger the DPI setting and the use of ICE extends the scan time appreciably.

Looks like the UK and US prices are similar except for the difference in the exchange rate which causes the UK price to be close to 50% more costly. AND by the way, having driven in London too many times, I'll leave the driving there to you! I lived in Japan for two years and drove there on the left side of the road, but it was much easier than dealing with London traffic, round-abouts, narrow streets, and difficult parking. Likewise, driving in Australia on the left side was easier by far relative to both London and Japan.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
AND by the way, having driven in London too many times, I'll leave the driving there to you! I lived in Japan for two years and drove there on the left side of the road, but it was much easier than dealing with London traffic, round-abouts, narrow streets, and difficult parking. Likewise, driving in Australia on the left side was easier by far relative to both London and Japan.
You haven't driven till you've driven in Jamaica. Playing chicken over one lane bridges is not for the squeamish. Or taking a goat path up a mountain in a Jeep with a cliff on your side in Wyoming. For that matter, try walking down wet stone steps from Hitler's Eagle's Nest in the mist and clouds without a guide rail to keep you from slipping off the mountain. :eek:

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Driving the Austrian Alps in a VW Bug in the dead of winter December 1960, Playing chicken with truck and bus drivers on the one lane roads in the mountains of Greece where buses on hairpin turns had wheels on the road but the body of the vehicle over thin air and deep ravines, Sharing the roads in Yugoslavia with tanks and being diverted to drive dry river beds for part of the drive south to Salonica (in the meanwhile hearing gunfire from the distance). Many driving "adventures" I'll now forgo! Just seeing the crazy traffic in Istanbul made me very thankful that I didn't have my car there!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
They have a practice here at night in the west of Ireland while driving on boreen roads.

When a driver comes to a crossroads he switches off his lights and just drives straight through without the need to stop or look, with his lights turned off he can tell if there’s another car coming the other way, it’s pure genius when you’ve had a couple to much.. :p

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
They have a practice here at night in the west of Ireland while driving on boreen roads.

When a driver comes to a crossroads he switches off his lights and just drives straight through without the need to stop or look, with his lights turned off he can tell if there’s another car coming the other way, it’s pure genius when you’ve had a couple to much.. :p
I found da Irish to be blessed with a very special view on adversity!

One night....late! Da new wife and I were drving home da road was but a country lane with mighty hedgrows either side. Now there was but one crossroad on da way to Cavan 'an dat was in 'use' as it were......a farmer, sat side saddle on a tiny cart drawn by a donkey. He was, or so he appeared to believe, de only person on da road at da time of night.
He was a very friendly man. I know dis because he waved in a friendly manner from da drain into which he jumped as i swerved to miss dem jus standin in da very middle of da crossroad. I would have been very angry about da cart bein on its side wid da donkey brayin an all.
Nòt him, he just waved and called kind greetngs after us as we passed. Sadly i could not understand a word he said as I was pretty far gone, an the engine was roaring a treat.

Last edited: