Fine Art Archival Printing

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Good choice of Canon Pro-1.

Just make sure you do the extended nozzle check with service tool to make sure you did not get a lemon. I had few clients discover this when their free return no questions asked period was over.

That said I would like to say if you ever would like to print true glossy prints say on PT-101 paper you would need Canon Pro 100 DYE inkjet printer.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The deed is done. The die (dye) is cast. The £100 cashback and advice from this forum swunged it. A Canon Pro-1 is on the way. (With free pack of A4 paper). £663.00 GB pounds - £100 cashback.

Thank you, everyone.
Please stay in touch and let us know how your work is going with the new printer plus the VHP and potential customers' response. You've now moved from "student" to "teacher" status on our forum!

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
Thank you, folks. VFP is reading this thread, and, I hope, disregarding the cost of Pro-1 ink. He did say he didn't want a cheap job. I am, after all, reassuringly expensive.

The monstah Pro-1 arrives on Friday, meantime, there are profiles to be got, and bank balances to weep over. :)

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
...meantime, there are profiles to be got, and bank balances to weep over. :)
While I'm not paying the bill, £563 for a professional printer that's going to produce art prints for sale doesn't sound bad to me. I paid $400 for a laser printer maybe 20 years ago, and all it does it print B&W text.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Thank you, folks. VFP is reading this thread, and, I hope, disregarding the cost of Pro-1 ink. He did say he didn't want a cheap job. I am, after all, reassuringly expensive.

The monstah Pro-1 arrives on Friday, meantime, there are profiles to be got, and bank balances to weep over. :)
Limited series art prints should cost enough to cover the necessary archival inks. Plus, of course, the monstah Pro-1. Should also charge enough to cover the extensive desk real estate that the monstah occupies!!

No problem - the bank balance will survive and thrive.

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
Bank balance; There is always the danger that between us, VFP and I produce a range of work so delightfully obscure and over-priced that the editions limit themselves to one sale.

There is currently an unseemly fuss in my studio as I try to find a place for this critter to live. The price is high, but as Thrilla points out, I should regard it as investment.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Bank balance; There is always the danger that between us, VFP and I produce a range of work so delightfully obscure and over-priced that the editions limit themselves to one sale.

Fear not, 'tis but the first instalment in the price of wisdom.:thumbsup

I once was a wealthy man, then I started to scratch an itch called photography, the ailment progressed and developed into digital print, where as only fools know, only the best screens will do....
Oh! how grand were my efforts..... and the itch got worse, so "to print", "to print and damn the cost......."
Ah! here I sit, an older man :old poorer but wiser....:th
DAMN the cost :weee..........its FUN FUN FUN:gig:gig:gig

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
I ran some A3+ B&W proofs off today to check the neg scans. (On the 6850 dye printer.) What looks fine at A4 looks like the surface of the moon at A3+. We're talking 40 year old negatives, scanned at 300 dpi.

I fear a new scan(ner) is called for. What, if anything are you guys using for 35mm negs?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Nikon had a good range of 35mm film scanners, alternatively for slides , 4 slides or a film strip with 6 neg's in a different holder, Minolta had similar models, but with analogue photography almost gone most film scanners are gone as well. There seem to be some cheaper models on the market, I don't know their performance, o.k., you need some scan resolution, but more important is a very good Dmax (and 16 bit) to get details out of the dark areas of the film.