Fine Art Archival Printing

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Thank you, good people for all your kind words. The A3+ test dye prints have been framed and shipped off to VFP, with hints that he might acquire a few more ppi in the (flatbed) scanning department. With spot removal. The images are irreplaceable, given that the subjects are now mostly deceased, so we must wring what we can from the negs.

I also have my own irreplaceable 35mm negs from 1958 up to the digital camera age. I agree that we need to get what we can from these images. In addition, I have family 35mm color negs and slides from an uncle (now deceased) that go back to the 1940's. The oldest ones really require an upgrade in my scanning software to even come close to a good print result. Another project this procrastinator will put aside for many rainy days (which California woefully needs!)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The oldest ones really require an upgrade in my scanning software...
What scanning software is appropriate for your needs?

(perhaps a sacrifice to the rain gods is in order?)

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I ran some A3+ B&W proofs off today to check the neg scans. (On the 6850 dye printer.) What looks fine at A4 looks like the surface of the moon at A3+. We're talking 40 year old negatives, scanned at 300 dpi.

I fear a new scan(ner) is called for. What, if anything are you guys using for 35mm negs?

Try Plustek 120

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Only 300 DPI scan? Wow, th8at's low! Suggests a Canoscan flatbed, used on eBay. Such as an 8800F. Works OK for me...

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
Thank the lord I don't need to scan negs again. However, the Epson v550 looks slightly less terrible to operate than my old Canon 700F.

Scanning at 300 ppi is a throwback to the old 150 lines per inch half-tone image setters, we used to scan at 225 grayscale for them and were told we'd never need more than that res.

That's the same epoch we were told we'd never need more than 10 Mbps Ethernet. :lol:

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I WAS looking for a scanner too. Looked up B&H for this item...US$ 1999....Seriously?

Well it's a dedicated scanner that can scan any film format even medium format not only 35mm film. The recommended software is vuescan.

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
Let me updatify this thread. The VFP is convinced of the benefits of rescans of the negs. We await this small miracle.

Meantime, there's a huge box under my desk with a Canon Pro 1 in it. To unpack or not to unpack, that is the question.

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
El Sombrero dijo ' an intriguing weekend'

Quite. The VFP has today received a large box of framed sampled prints, sent to his castle in far off lands. We await his pronouncements with shaky paws.