Feed mechanism on MX925?

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
I've had the dreaded B200 error twice recently on my MX925. I doubt if it's the cartridge, because each time it's stopped in the middle of a page with the paper stuck half out the exit slot. The display says to try switching off and on, and to contact the service centre.

I've been able to pull the paper out, and then continue printing after switching off and on. However, it's happened twice in the last few days.

I've had the printer for just over two years (so out of guarantee). It's not used extensively, maybe an average of 3 pages a day.

I guess it will happen again. Does anyone have any suggestions?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes the B200 error that means printhead kaput will soon become permanent. So you will need either a new print head or a new printer.

A new print head is less expensive than a new printer, but there is a risk that the defective print head has damaged the logic board. A logic board damaged by a defective printhead might damage a new print head. So replacing the print head is a gamble.

A new Canon printer with print, scan, copy and fax functions could be the TR7550. It uses pigment black and four dye colours black inclusive so it is also a decent photo printer. It looks like it doesn't print CDs though. The negative is that it uses the PGI-580/CLI-581 cartridge series. These cartridges are almost twice as expensive as the PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges. Compatible cartridges are also much more expensive than compatible cartridges for earlier cartridge families, and no resetter exists for the PGI-580/CLI-581 cartridges.

Canon also make the office inkjet Maxify printers. Some of these have fax capability. They use four pigmented ink and are office printers, not photo printers. Refillable aftermarket cartridges exist for the Maxify printers.

It looks to me like a new print head or a Maxify printer are the most economic solutions.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the response and suggestions.

The print head was replaced about 2 years ago. I don't want to risk trying another one. So this MX925 will have to go.

I've been using Canon printers for some time. I think the first was an ip4500. Every time I get a new printer, the cartridges are more expensive, more difficult to refill, and the printer appears to last for less time.

I'm looking at a Maxify. It won't be used for photo printing. I've given up refilling, and good quality compatibles for the Maxify look quite cheap, certainly compared with the 58x ones. So it seems a good option for me.

I want a printer that will last a bit longer than the MX925 (just over two years). Does anyone have any comments on the quality of Maxify printers?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Does anyone have any comments on the quality of Maxify printers?
My Grandson goes through printers like a chain saw, I mean very fast, (Including laser printers) but then I got him a Maxify, and low and behold he has it 3 years and it’s still going strong, I’ve got one myself to replace my ageing iP4500, they are solid and robust..
P.S. check out which model would suite you before purchasing…

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
P.S. check out which model would suite you before purchasing…
The entry level MB2150 has everything I need. The only problem is some reviews say the paper tray is badly designed and the paper ends up on the floor. Others say they've not had a problem.

Which model do you have?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Firstly I never read or believe these reviews because most usually have an axe to grind with the manufacture, and everybody is different and has their own ideas as to what they want from a printer..

The paper tray could be better but it’s about the same as most other desktop printers and the printed paper only lands on the floor when the stupid user doesn’t extend the delivery tray properly, also some models have two paper trays.

I’ve got the MB5155 model , with one paper tray and the larger cartridges, it has many other merits but I only use it for printing A4 text and photos.
It’s about the best little Canon printer on the market without having to go up to the higher Pro printer models..

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Firstly I never read or believe these reviews because most usually have an axe to grind with the manufacture, and everybody is different and has their own ideas as to what they want from a printer..
I agree. However, if there are loads of reviews all saying the same thing, I tend to avoid the product. But any product is bound to have a small percentage of negative reviews for the reasons you stated, and I normally ignore these.

The paper tray could be better but it’s about the same as most other desktop printers and the printed paper only lands on the floor when the stupid user doesn’t extend the delivery tray properly, also some models have two paper trays.
That's what I assumed, but it's good to have confirmation. If some reviews say there's not a problem, it probably means that even if there is a problem there's a simple workaround.

Incidentally I've discovered that Canon are providing a special three year warranty on the Maxify and a few other ranges. I think that confirms that Canon expect the printer to last for several years.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I confirm what @The Hat said about the Maxify. Never had a single sheet of paper to drop on the floor, except when I forgot to open correctly the tray. What I experienced a few times is double feed if the paper is exposed to moisture. Now I keep the packs of paper in zip-lock plastic bags with silica gel inside to avoid any trouble. Probably that's overkill, but it serves me also for my laser printer, which is a lot more problematic in this aspect.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Never had a single sheet of paper to drop on the floor, except when I forgot to open correctly the tray.
Ah, so do I have to open the tray manually each time I print? The printer doesn't open it automatically for me like in my late lamented MX925? I understand now what @The Hat means about the stupid user who doesn't extend the tray properly. That will soon be me, especially if I'm using the printer from the other end of the house.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
some reviews say the paper tray is badly designed and the paper ends up on the floor.
I also have not had an issue with the paper tray or the paper catch mechanism. But, I feel the paper catch mechanism is flimsy plastic that needs a little more conscious effort not to manhandle it.

It may be possible that you print dozens of pages at one time and printed pages may overflow. Could happen to most any printer, though.

Happy with the Maxify.

Latest posts