Factory Refurb w/ Warranty (but print head not included)???

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Ruri said:
As I posted in another thread, newegg doesn't include inks, so the total would be $153 for me. If you already have the compatible cassettes it is a good deal, but for me it's a so so deal.
Can you point me to where you see "no ink included" ?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Ruri said:
I can see that 7-ink printers can produce richer images, but is it true that a 7-ink printer is more economical than a 5-ink model because the consumption of ink per tank is smaller.
The 7-ink printer will produce slightly better photo prints but it will cost much more to print them compared to the 5-ink printer. The reason is that the two added inks are much lighter versions of cyan and magenta and the printer favors them meaning that you consume two to three times more of the lighter cyan and magenta than their darker counterparts.

Ruri

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
jflan said:
Can you point me to where you see "no ink included" ?
The sneaky thing is that they don't say that clearly on their site. It only says that the content of the box may be different from that of a brand new item. After clicking on the "add to cart" button, they say "choose the combo or package items if applicable (or something to that effect.)" The choices are the ink cartridges, a USB cable, and some inkjet pape. And the price of each item was shown. It confused me because I thought that at least the inks were included. If I don't choose them, they won't be included? The prices are shown and does it mean that they are not free? So I asked them. The answer was that the inks, cable, and paper were not included.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
That is called upsale. They are trying to sell you more stuff that are related to what your are buying. The upsale items have no relation to what is in the box. They make more money if you order cable, cartridges etc.

Send them an email to ask them to confirm what is in the box.

The following is from http://docs.smallbusiness.miva.com/en-US/merchant/5/webhelp/upsale_product.htm
Upselling is a time-tested way of increasing sales. It gives you a way to bring additional products to the customer's attention during checkout. You have probably seen upselling in action this is what restaurants are doing when they ask "Would you like fries with that?" Shoppers often appreciate it when you let them know about products they might want or need, and they may add an item or two to their order.

Upsold products can be associated with specific products, with the amount of the order, or both. The upsold product can be offered at the regular price, or discounted. You can specify the number of upsale items to display during checkout, and the number of different upsale products the customer can select.

For instance, when a customer is purchasing a digital camera from your store, you could offer a memory card, a battery pack, or a camera case, their choice, at a discount. Or, when someone places an order over a certain amount, you could offer a special product that's only available to your best customers.

If the customer has already put an item in their basket that would normally be offered as an upsale product during checkout, that item will not be offered to them.

Ruri

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
It's not my mere speculation that inks are not included. I already emailed them and asked. Here's their reply.
We apologize for any confusion. Please kindly note that the items offered with the printer under "combos and essentials" can be purchased with the printer. However, they are not offered for free. If you add them together with the item # 28-102-349, you will need to pay for the printer and them (paper, ink and the cable).

For your reference, the manufacturer recertified product may differ in packaging and accessories, but will usually be comparable with new versions. On occasion accessory items may or may not be included, and/or substituted.
If the inks are not included, it's not comparable at all since the inks are as expensive as the priinter itself.

ghwellsjr, thank you for the info.
So you think it's not a good idea to get the 960 even thought it is a brand new item while the 810 is a refurbished one? If I start to use refillable cassettes, would the inks still cost significantly more? I don't know how many copies I make per month on average but usually it's not that many.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The sneaky thing is that they don't say that clearly on their site. It only says that the content of the box may be different from that of a brand new item.
Yes, this is typical for a refurb that is handled "in-house" by Newegg. Fair enough.

After clicking on the "add to cart" button, they say "choose the combo or package items if applicable (or something to that effect.)" The choices are the ink cartridges, a USB cable, and some inkjet pape. And the price of each item was shown.
Again, typical for most all items....they want to sell accessories...can't blame them for trying.

It confused me because I thought that at least the inks were included. If I don't choose them, they won't be included? The prices are shown and does it mean that they are not free?
This would be an assumption.

So I asked them. The answer was that the inks, cable, and paper were not included.
Whomever responded to your query was apparently not informed.

1. These are Canon recertifieds and Canon warranted, Newegg doesn't doesn't touch them, other than the boxes.
2. Canon is not going to release a recerified printer without inks...it would open the door for a bargain hunter to buy aftermarket ink from the start. They want to get you hooked on genuine ink.
3. If you read the customer reviews, they are reporting that these Canon recertifieds are shipping with ink.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Ruri said:
ghwellsjr, thank you for the info.
So you think it's not a good idea to get the 960 even thought it is a brand new item while the 810 is a refurbished one? If I start to use refillable cassettes, would the inks still cost significantly more? I don't know how many copies I make per month on average but usually it's not that many.
The cost is always going to be proportionally more for the 7-ink printers but since refilling brings the cost per cartridge down from $14 to $1, it'll just make you all the more glad you're refilling. I don't want to decide for you what is the best thing for you to do, I'm just making the facts known so you can make your own decision. BTW, the same thing applies for any printer with 6 or more cartridges, ie, those that have photo cyan and photo magenta.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Going back to page one of this thread. Ruri said he's looking for an AIO that will scan film. Will any of Canon's AIOs do that? Doesn't it require a light source behind the film or negative? Just wondering.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Yes there is: the Canon MP970 has a diafilm scanner with backlight adapter and is 7-ink tank based (CcMmYK CLI-8 + Pigment PGI-5Bk) and also has a superior CCD-scanner.

Ruri

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Going back to page one of this thread. Ruri said he's looking for an AIO that will scan film. Will any of Canon's AIOs do that? Doesn't it require a light source behind the film or negative? Just wondering.
Yes there is: the Canon MP970 has a diafilm scanner with backlight adapter and is 7-ink tank based (CcMmYK CLI-8 + Pigment PGI-5Bk) and also has a superior CCD-scanner.
(I'm a SHE.:)) Yes, and also MP810 and MP960.

Whomever responded to your query was apparently not informed.

1. These are Canon recertifieds and Canon warranted, Newegg doesn't doesn't touch them, other than the boxes.
2. Canon is not going to release a recerified printer without inks...it would open the door for a bargain hunter to buy aftermarket ink from the start. They want to get you hooked on genuine ink.
3. If you read the customer reviews, they are reporting that these Canon recertifieds are shipping with ink.
Since you have trust in Newegg in great deal, I thought maybe I misread Newegg's reply and maybe she meant, "inks and papers are included but you can purchase these items if you want some more." So I emailed again for clarification. This time, clearly I was told that they are not included (although it was from the same possibly uninformed person.) She didn't reply yesterday but did today. What do you think they did yesterday? They removed the remark,
The pictures shown are from the NEW version of this item. The manufacturer Recertified product may differ in packaging and accessories, but will usually be comparable with new versions. On occasion accessory items may or may not be included, and/or substituted. Accessories are shown in the pictures so that customers will know what may be missing.
from the page that shows the content of a box of a new MP810 probably because I said that it couldn't be called "comparable" if it doesn't come with the inks which cost as much as the printer itself. I noticed that they removed the remark from the pictures of many other printers also. Probably ones which don't have the remark now don't come with inks.