Factory Refurb w/ Warranty (but print head not included)???

Ruri

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Can a seller describe the item as "Canon FACTORY Refurbished" if the printer doesn't come with the printhead? Not including inks is probably allowable as long as the seller makes it clear but refurbished items have to have all the parts that are needed to function as good as a new item, don't they? It says that it has 990 day warranty from the purchase date, but who knows? The date might be his purchase date.:mad:

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I never heard of missing parts for a factory refurbished merchandise.

I think the seller purchased this refurbished printer. Keep the printhead and the ink cartridges. Sell the remaining printer. It should be called "selling for parts" or "parts printer".

Edit:
If this is an eBay auction and the description does not mentioned missing parts, one can ask the seller for refund. But you are still out of shipping charge. If the seller does not refund, you can file a dispute with eBay. If you pay through Paypal using credit card, you can ask your credit card company to reverse charge using the product is not as described as reason.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Ruri said:
Can a seller describe the item as "Canon FACTORY Refurbished" if the printer doesn't come with the printhead? Not including inks is probably allowable as long as the seller makes it clear but refurbished items have to have all the parts that are needed to function as good as a new item, don't they? It says that it has 990 day warranty from the purchase date, but who knows? The date might be his purchase date.:mad:
This sounds "fishy".
Can you post a link to the item for sale ?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'd lay odds on the seller having bought in the refurbs from the Canon store(s) that sell the real refurb's and then as embay said, they've stripped all the consumables and CD tray before flogging them off...

Report the seller and file a dispute pointing to the true refurbished listings as proof that they are mis-selling... You may not get anywhere though...

Ruri

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
MP810 $90.95 free shipping
MP810 $100 with inks

Yesterday, the first one said "Note: This is a brand new item. Not refurbished!!" where it now says "Note: This item is refurbished!" although it said "refurbished" and "recertified" in other parts of the page. I sent an inquiry to this seller to ask about this discrepancy and whether there is anything else that is missing from the content of a box of a brand new MP810. He changed the description this morning but hasn't answered me. At least he "honestly" writes that inks and the printhead are not included and tells people not to assume anything.

The second one, I'm not sure. I made a best offer of $95. After I made the offer I asked him if it comes with the printhead because I noticed that iit is not mentioned anywhere in the page. A few hours later he refused my offer but hasn't answered my question yet. (If he doesn't want to discount even $5, he shouldn't use the "best offer" feature.)

Ruri

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
As I posted in another thread, newegg doesn't include inks, so the total would be $153 for me. If you already have the compatible cassettes it is a good deal, but for me it's a so so deal.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Ruri, why are you suspicious that the printer has no print head?

Ruri

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
After seeing the first linked auction, I learned that "factory refurbished" does not necessarily mean that it comes with all the parts, not to mention the inks, so I asked the seller just to be sure. But I'm much more suspicious now because he doesn't answer my question.
hmm.gif
Those two auctions have low "buy now" prices with free shipping while others have higher prices and shipping charges. Usually if something is too good to be true, it is, isn't it? Am Ii too cynical?

Ruri

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
OK, corrrection.
He replied and said that the printhead and the inks are new and sealed.
Well, I guess he wasn't a cheater.

If refurbished MP810 is $100 including shipping and brand new MP960 is $114.65 ($79.95 +shipping $34.70) which is a better choice? What I want is a photo-centric inexpensive AIO with film scan capability and high quality photo printing and decent text printing. The biggest difference of the two I think is 7-ink or 5-ink. I can see that 7-ink printers can produce richer images, but is it true that a 7-ink printer is more economical than a 5-ink model because the consumption of ink per tank is smaller. I read it in a review but it didn't really convince me. Is it true? The specs say that MP810's cost per a 4" x6" color photo print is 29 cents and MP910, 32 cents. According to the figures, obviously 810 is slightly economical.