Et-7700 printer not printing

Southmeader

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET 7700
Was getting the streaks on my prints so removed and washed the square sponge to the right of the print head. As reinstall isn't easy, I added 1cm of tubing so reconnection of drain tube is easier. Turned it on... no ink to head. Not even a dot. Tried the nozzle check, power clean, etc but nothing. Surely 1cm of tube on a drain wouldn't do this?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Please explain what the printer did wrong in the first place before you started taking the cleaning unit apart. It is not clear to me where you added some tubing but fresh ink is supplied via tubes which come from the ink tanks and which supply the ink from the top where the tubes connect to the printhead.

Flummi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-8550, ET-7750
A week ago I did the same cleaning of the sponge (under the printhead at park position). I assume Southmeader refers to the two tubes beneath the sponge (draining ink / applying vacuum?). I`m not sure If one tube is used for "soaking" ink from the printhead during cleaning. But if so, a not perfectly tight tube extension might render nozzle cleaning useless.

Edit: The sponge of 7750 accumulates ink, thus leading to ink smearing the print head. This gets thick enough to smear on paper -> typical (known) streaks. Cleaning the sponge and averting nozzle cleaning perfectly helps for a longer time.

Last edited:

Southmeader

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET 7700
Please explain what the printer did wrong in the first place before you started taking the cleaning unit apart. It is not clear to me where you added some tubing but fresh ink is supplied via tubes which come from the ink tanks and which supply the ink from the top where the tubes connect to the printhead.

Southmeader

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET 7700
I was getting smears on prints. I removed the sponge and white holder to rinse it through with water. There's two tubes attached: one at the side, one underneath. They aren't very easy to reinstall hence my adding the extra piece. These tubes deal with the waste ink wiped from the head and have no part in supplying ink. That's why I can't see how adding 1.5cm to the tube that connects to the bottom of the pad holder would affect anything.

Flummi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-8550, ET-7750
a not perfectly tight tube extension might render nozzle cleaning useless.
There is no pump "pressing" ink through the nozzles when doing a nozzle clean. Instead, underpressure is used to suck ink beneath the print head.

In order to clean the sponge, the printer must be disconnected from the mains, which in turn requires a cleaning process. This cannot work if the tube extension is not tight.

This does not explain why all nozzles are dead, but could explain why nozzle cleaning is unsuccessful.

Last edited:

Southmeader

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET 7700
All pipes are secure. The machine had only done 550 sheets. It refuses to deposit one dot of ink.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There is a rather helpful utility available - WicReset - which gives you 4 different intensity levels for the cleaning cycle and a complete ink charge - the same the printer does when you initialize the printer. You may run a stronger cleaning ccycle to see if anything changes in the nozzle check printout. Do you have ink in all containers ? can you observe any aibubbles in the tubes to the printhead ?
550 sheets - that's not much - your printer is probably still under warranty.