Epson WF-7710 what ink to use ?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I just refilled a new set of cartridges for somebody and I should have taken picture how to prime the cartridges: they look exactly the same like these. That central circular hole should be filled with ink by priming. Now you have air in your print head: it will be difficult the flush the air from the print head now. Prime the cartridge as soon as possible before reinserting into your printer.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Please have a look at this picture:

priming cartridge.jpg

The central hole above and right should contain ink (not necessarly completely filled, but at least 50-60% is OK) by priming: you insert an empty syringe into the refill hole firmly and also close the breathing hole (in the picture the yellow plug) and and pull the syringe to create a vacuum, so the ink will flow into these two circular holes. You might repeat this a few times until there is enough ink in the buffer chamber. This is necessary only the first time or when ink has accidentally run out and there is air and no ink in the buffer chambers: in this case repeat the priming focus again.

Chervenkov

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7710
Thanks for the help! I failed to put ink in the center buffer. In this forum I saw more topics about Epson WF 7710, but I don't have time to read everything. Now I have ordered a new set of rechargeable cartridges and I will fill them with Epson 106 ink / I managed to find a distributor in Bulgaria /. It remains in the test to play with the printer driver for color management. I will write the test result in about 2-3 weeks.
Can I use epson 105 - pigment for black ink and epson 106 for CMY?
Can you give a more detailed explanation about filling the buffer with ink?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes, you can, that 105 black pigmented ink is to be used for prints on normal paper or matte/inkjet paper, it easily wipes off from glossy papers. If you want to print photos you may use the dye photo black of the 106 ink series instead together with the matte/inkjet paper setting - onto glossy paper.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the help! I failed to put ink in the center buffer. In this forum I saw more topics about Epson WF 7710, but I don't have time to read everything. Now I have ordered a new set of rechargeable cartridges and I will fill them with Epson 106 ink / I managed to find a distributor in Bulgaria /. It remains in the test to play with the printer driver for color management. I will write the test result in about 2-3 weeks.
Can you give a more detailed explanation about filling the buffer with ink?

Have a look at my older post about Epson R3000 refillable cartridges with pictures.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...real-life-test-youtube-video.6327/#post-47385

The cartridges look different, but there is also a buffer chamber with air that cannot be filled by just injecting ink in the cartridge. To have ink the buffer chamber you will have to use a syringe without needle and put it firmly into the refill hole. Also close the breathing hole (in the pictures the coloured plugs: this is important, because we are going to create a vacuum the cartridge). First: refill the cartridge for about 50% and close the breathing hole with a plug. Now pull the lever of the syringe in order to create a vacuum in the cartridge: you will see ink flowing in the buffer chamber that is previously filled with air. Repeat this process a few times until it is almost filled with ink: it doesn't need to be 100% full: during printing the print head will suck ink from the cartridge and pulls the ink from the main chamber into the buffer chamber and will replenish the buffer chamber automatically and the air bubble will stay above the ink level at all time.

Chervenkov

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7710
Thank you very much!
I have success with epson 106 ink - the printer works.
Now I'm waiting for the new ink cartridges.
I'm attaching a photo with a test black page, but something is blue to me. I guess now I have to play with the driver settings. Where and how do I adjust the print settings?

Attachments

• viber_изображение_2020-06-09_20-32-53.jpg
    viber_изображение_2020-06-09_20-32-53.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 329

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Something is wrong with your colour balance. The squares should be black or neutral grey. I think there is a problem with magenta. I found the test image on the web and printed it on plain paper using a Canon iP4300. Here is a scan of the print, click to enlarge. I had a problem with the width of the testprint, maybe it is not A4?

Testpage scan.jpg

Notice that only the 100 % square and the text is neutral black, the other squares have a magenta cast, specially noticeable in the 40 % square. This magenta cast is typical of many Canon printers. So this shows that not only pigment black is used but also dye CMY colours. I have modified a webcam to work in near infrared. In near infrared pigment ink is black and dye ink is transparent. Here is a webcam shot, click to enlarge:

Testpage IR.jpg

Notice missing 60, 40 and 20% squares, only dye colours are used printing them, no pigment black

Here is a 200 X magnification from the 70% square, notice both pigment black and dye colours are used, click to enlarge:

Testpage 70 pc 200X.jpg

And here is a magnification from the 20% square notice no pigment black is used, only dye colours, click to enlarge:

Testpage 20 pc 200X.jpg

So it is seen that colour balance is important even when printing B&W images with grey tones. A colout test image with a greyscale might be helpful in adjusting the colours, maybe this test image and procedure will be useful?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Please post a nozzle check
I think there is a problem with magenta.
I only can follow @PeterBJ 's assumption - magenta is missing.

if you want to print grayscale rendering just with the black ink you need to use the matte/inkjet paper setting together with the grayscale option.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The last time you show us the unprimed Magenta cartridge, so I think there is air inside the magenta channel. Only several cleaning cycles will push out the air. Please prime the cartridge first before reinserting. and then execute 2 cleaning cycles to push out the air.