Epson WF-7010 Black Ink bronzing using inkjetcarts bulk ink?

CRANK

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I purchased refillable ink carts from inkjetcarts.us and bulk pigment ink. When I print on inkjet vinyl all the colors except for black print correctly. My black comes out dark brown which I believe is called bronzing. This happens when I use the premium photo paper semi gloss paper selection even though I turn off color management and raise the print density to +20 it still gives me dark browns instead of black. What I did notice is that when selecting premium presentation paper matte, high quality, and high speed unchecked the black prints black and not dark brown. The problem with printing in "premium presentation paper matte" is the high quality setting is not very good because images come out pixelated and jagged. If there were a way to select premium presentation paper matte and select best quality I am sure my prints would come out perfect but there is no way to select best quality for that media.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I've never printer on vinyl so cannot help you with setting but have you tried printing a normal image on say Epson Premium Glossy and normal settings such as sRGB and of course choosing the correct paper and high quality.
I have a feeling your results will be normal, assuming you have a perfectly operating printer without any clogged nozzles.

You may need an ICC profile for this vinyl media and then use it to print from your editing application while disabling color management in the Epson Driver.

Joe

CRANK

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
jtoolman said:
I've never printer on vinyl so cannot help you with setting but have you tried printing a normal image on say Epson Premium Glossy and normal settings such as sRGB and of course choosing the correct paper and high quality.
I have a feeling your results will be normal, assuming you have a perfectly operating printer without any clogged nozzles.

You may need an ICC profile for this vinyl media and then use it to print from your editing application while disabling color management in the Epson Driver.

Joe
I am printing on sihl 3988 inkjet vinyl. My nozzle check is perfect. I am printing using MS Publisher 2013 so I am not able to select any settings other than what the epson print driver allows me to select.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
But since you are having problems printing a black you should first eliminate the possibility of whether the brawn "Black" rendition is due to the media or the inks by still going ahead as printing a normal image file onto regular glossy paper. If you do not have a photo editor just print it through Windows picture viewer. Or just print your MS Publisher on glossy photo paper using default settings for the correct paper type.
If you get good blacks without brown, then you will know that it is not the inks but the vinyl material itself.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
When selecting Matte or plain, the printer prints in CMY and K. Outside those modes it is a CMY printer. You need a combination of CMY that will produce the black you want. If the inks are up to it, you might hit black. Even profiling a CMY combination will not necessarily guarantee a black. You could try manipulating the CMY controls and see what results you get. Not all combinations of CMY will yield black, so cross your fingers.

Unlike what many think not all C or M or Y ink colors are the same. You really need three of them to be matched to generate K. Epson genuine Durabrite have matched colors to generate the K. Most aftermarket combinations can't reach it, or mix the colors in incorrect proportions....thus getting brown. Profiling might help...depending on the ink combination.

It looks like you did not understand the printer you purchased and what it is really meant for and what its limitations are. Workforce printers are principally used for office documents. Photos are an afterthought in this category.

CRANK

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
mikling said:
When selecting Matte or plain, the printer prints in CMY and K. Outside those modes it is a CMY printer. You need a combination of CMY that will produce the black you want. If the inks are up to it, you might hit black. Even profiling a CMY combination will not necessarily guarantee a black. You could try manipulating the CMY controls and see what results you get. Not all combinations of CMY will yield black, so cross your fingers.

Unlike what many think not all C or M or Y ink colors are the same. You really need three of them to be matched to generate K. Epson genuine Durabrite have matched colors to generate the K. Most aftermarket combinations can't reach it, or mix the colors in incorrect proportions....thus getting brown. Profiling might help...depending on the ink combination.

It looks like you did not understand the printer you purchased and what it is really meant for and what its limitations are. Workforce printers are principally used for office documents. Photos are an afterthought in this category.
Thank you for this information. The reason I purchased this printer was to make small decals using sihl 3988 inkjet vinyl. I was using an hp officejet pro 8500 before I purchased this printer and I had no problems printing black with that printer. I wanted an epson printer because of the refillable carts that are available and bulk inks. Which printer would you recommend for printing decals on sihl 3988 inkjet vinyl?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
You need to use Photoblack ink on the Black channel with your current printer and then tell the printer you are printing on matte. You will now get black. Most times if you purchased Pigment Black on a 4 color Epson, you will have received Matte Black which likely won't work well with the vinyl. What black did you receive and did the vendor advise you properly of what you were about to carry out and whether it is possible? Your questions should have had a quick and definitive answer by your supplier really and advice on how to carry this out.

If you can't get the resolution you need, you might need to investigate into finding a model that prints with the same carts you have but with finer resolution. I'm surprised that you're getting pixelation actually. Double check your settings.

CRANK

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
The sihl 3988 inkjet vinyl has a matte coating. The black that came with the refillable carts is matte black. I do get pixelation when selecting premium presentation paper matte and high quality. Best quality is only selectable when you select a photo paper media.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Is pixelation really the correct term? Pixelation is related only to the image's resolution and not due to choosing a paper type on the printer driver.
Are you getting a lower resolution print due to the paper choice you are choosing?
I would follow what milking has suggested to be able to reproduce a good black tone.

CRANK

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
jtoolman said:
Is pixelation really the correct term? Pixelation is related only to the image's resolution and not due to choosing a paper type on the printer driver.
Are you getting a lower resolution print due to the paper choice you are choosing?
I would follow what milking has suggested to be able to reproduce a good black tone.
Yes, and I can give you an example. When printing a batman logo using premium presentation paper matte and selecting high quality the lines in a batman logo look like steps and the sharp points of the logo looked blurred. But if I select premium photo paper semi-gloss and best quality all the lines are sharp with no blurs or steps. I am sorry I do not know all the terminology I am doing my best to describe what I see.