Epson Stylus Photo R340 pricing questions

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The R340 seems to be commanding unusually high prices on ebay. A used unit with original packaging sold for 132.50. A "new in box" unit(sans CD tray) sold for 220.05. Off ebay, sellers are asking 369.00 for new units! Anyone know why these are selling and/or being offered at such prices?

Thanks!

silverwind

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I don't have an answer to this mystery. I have one that I've never used and went on eBay to see what it's worth and also was surprised by this. A new Artisan 385 can be purchased for less when they're on sale, which they frequently are. I would have guessed $50... maybe $75... before checking eBay.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
When used for commercial purposes, these allow the use of CISS systems without ANY user interaction when the chips reset. This can be a significant aspect when manpower is limited. With newer printers, even when equipped with auto resets, some level of user interaction is required...someone has to be around to push a button or something. Until this is done the print job is stopped. This is not the case for the printers in that generation. Add to this the ability to add an external waste ink tank within 5 minutes, the removal of one screw that secures a hatch.
The software to reset the waste ink pad is widely available and a printhead that can withstand commercial duty and take abuse. You now have a workhorse of a printer. Feed mechanisms will likely wear out before the other parts do for this series.

Print quality is adequate but not up to today's best. It's a workhorse of a printer and many are pressed into commercial duty. Many of todays newest consumer printers are no longer up to the task as the reset issue is a real drawback.

sweatyheadfred

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Mikling
A few years ago just stumbled on to a R320 then found the CIS. It was great, easy waste replacement everything you mentioned. When it died I found a used R220 (used the same CIS). Same thing work great for a long time, but it to has seen its day. I am looking for a new printer. I am not afraid of paying for a long use printer. I lucked out with the R320 is there another one like that I can buy today that can handle the CIS? I have like the epsons, I previously had terrible luck with HPs. I have been considering the epson artisan series or the workforce series?
mikling said:
When used for commercial purposes, these allow the use of CISS systems without ANY user interaction when the chips reset. This can be a significant aspect when manpower is limited. With newer printers, even when equipped with auto resets, some level of user interaction is required...someone has to be around to push a button or something. Until this is done the print job is stopped. This is not the case for the printers in that generation. Add to this the ability to add an external waste ink tank within 5 minutes, the removal of one screw that secures a hatch.
The software to reset the waste ink pad is widely available and a printhead that can withstand commercial duty and take abuse. You now have a workhorse of a printer. Feed mechanisms will likely wear out before the other parts do for this series.

Print quality is adequate but not up to today's best. It's a workhorse of a printer and many are pressed into commercial duty. Many of todays newest consumer printers are no longer up to the task as the reset issue is a real drawback.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
My first CISS was on an Epson R320 and yes, it was foolproof. True auto reset! You just printed away without any thought to resetting. It just did it by itself when any one color reached 10% level. That printed did die but not before thousands of images were printed on it. I replaced it with a R340 which I still have on service and it runs like a champ. ABout 6 months ago I thought I'd give it to my son so I pulled off service and put it aside for him tp pick up. Months passed and he finally said he really did not have a need for it. So I plugged back to power, let it do it's thing and printed a perfect nozzle check. I used it as a standalone priting quickies from my SD cards and now have it plugged to the PC.

Great little printer.