Epson Stylus 1500w - Missing details at 1440 ppi

Gubenco

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson1500w
his means, that for every inch of the printed file you have 1440 pixels.
Yes
Did you ever calculate the theoretical diameter of a ink dot? For 1.5 pl it is about 0,018 mm for a hemisphere.
I have not made any precise measurements. Indeed 1.5 and 3.5 pl droplet have a comparable radius but not the splash diameter. I will make some precise measurements soon. I have just started. I decided to pic the smallest water (dye) droplet I can find with the most precise positioning and highest resolution I can afford. It may be an Epson or a Canon (which I never tried).

Gubenco

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson1500w
And what you found out with the 1440x1440 square is nothing new. All tech papers from Epson are referring to a square.
I would like to see the tech papers if you have. I am sure there should be some other valuable information.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If you are having issues with fine lines, linearization, or vectors that are rasterized by Photoshop, then would RIP software be of any help?

The other folks here are the knowledgeable ones. This thread blows my mind. I'm just spitballing.

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
It is the same image 4048x2549 once with 2400dpi and then 1200dpi for canon test.
A digital picture can never have DPI. It only has pixels. Depending on the output you get PPI. Normally this refers only for monitors, because this is a output device which shows pixels. And depending on the pixel density the file is shown larger or smaller at 100% view. The same happens with a printer. Sending the file with different PPI gives different prints, without dependence’s to the DPI. What should I use for printing? With 2400 PPI I get a picture with about 43 mm. Is this correct?
4048/2400*24,5=42,8. I then can print it with 2400 DPI on a IP100 which has smallest ink droplet of 1 pl.

Gubenco

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson1500w
would RIP software be of any help?
I have no epxerience using rip software. But I have a great interest at some point for adding more colors and to extend the gamut. I am also interested for droplet delay solution (similar to printhead alignment and bidirectional printing). Not sure if a rip software can do this or any software can. I need to print on a non-planar (but predictable) surface.

Last edited:

Gubenco

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson1500w
With 2400 PPI I get a picture with about 43 mm. Is this correct?
4048/2400*24,5=42,8. I then can print it with 2400 DPI on a IP100 which has smallest ink droplet of 1 pl.
Yes it is correct. Thank you! 1 pl sounds great.

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I would like to see the tech papers if you have. I am sure there should be some other valuable information.
I will check tomorrow. It is late now.
I remember a scientific study how small the droplets can be. The end is at 1 pl because then other effects of dynamics play a role for such small things. Like the velocity of the head, the air moved between nozzle opening and substrate, not enough dye for dense color, black gets gray and some other side effects. Maybe this was also one technical reason for Canon to leave 1 pl. The next thing is, that I don’t think that any of these home printers are exakt enough and reliable to everytime exactly the same. They are no high tech machines with compensations of wear and tear or for temperature. They are good enough for the human eye, which can resolve 0,08 mm at normal viewing distance for a A4 print at about the length of the diagonal. There are other articles on the web about this.

Last edited:

Gubenco

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson1500w
@maximilian59 Thank you! Realy important information to me, understanding limits. When I have started my project I was expecting that by the moment I will end it we'll have some resolution at diffraction limit but after 5 years I have exactly the same printer and I am about to buy another one with the same specifications... maybe a better CISS. Yeah, CISS is the real innovation for the last years.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It is the same image 4048x2549 once with 2400dpi and then 1200dpi for canon test.
I printed the 2400.PNG file on an A4 sheet and reduced by 198% with a print Resolution of 355 PPI on my Maxify printer, and the 1200.PNG was reduced by 237% with Resolution 505 PPI then scanned it, overall it looked far better than the previous files submitted, and I can see where he wants to go but ?.

The path he’s taking is the very long road, and I don’t know if he’ll ever get what he wants because there are too many obstacles in his path, maybe he should stick with Field 3D Display.. There are limits to what he can make a printer reproduce..
img144.jpg 1200.png.. Click to enlarge..

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
If you want to deep dive in physics and theorie:

Fundamentals of Inkjet Printing: The Science of Inkjet and Droplets​

On google books a view sites can be read.