Epson Stylus 1400 vs. Artisan 1430 for CIS

Kemmotar

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey all! Looking at the Stylus 1400 for use with a CIS and noticed that there's an Artisan 1430 out to replace it. Just wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages of one vs. the other. I'll be using it with a CIS as I mentioned, and would like the ability to have a full bleed on documents larger that 8.5" x 11". The other Epsons I've had have not had that ability, but since this is a "large format" printer I thought it might.

Any other printer suggestions would be welcome too!

Kemmotar

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
OK, looked at specs, and they both do borderless up to 13" by 19" which is good. So I guess my question essentially is CIS related. I see from reading other posts that the stylus 1400 has pretty good CIS options and performance, but don't see much on the 1430. It on sale right now with a $80 rebate, so it's actually cheaper than the 1400, but I know that newer isn't always better when it comes to printers!

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I've had a 1400 for about three years and it's still printing great full color photographs. We prints almost everyday so no head clogs nor do we need to run the cleaning tool.
I don't know about the 1430 but I'm guessing that it's just an updated version of the 1400 and I think I'd stay away from it only because Epson seems to have the habit of building "control" into the newer printers which seeks to inhibit or completely stop the ability to easily add or use a CIS system.
I was forced to research what to do to restart my 1400 after I got the usual notice that " Printer has reached the end of it's useful life etc". and with the help of my print friends I got it going again by putting in OEM remanufactured cartridges for a time and then installing a Damper/chip kit. Now the "Bad 1400" is printing as beautifully as it ever did. So much for "printer has reached the end of it's useful life crap". The Epson advice was to send my printer to a repair station or just buy a new printer! I think you might like the Damper/chip kit I am using now that has flip top refill openings that shut down on rubber O rings. They are very easy to install and use and i would only switch back to the bottle/tubing set up I had previously if I wanted to print a very large volume of pictures. This kit was under $40.00 and should last for the life of the printer( the real life, not the Epson manufactured one). I also sent for some empty dampers just to have as extras and they can be used in any Epson, you just need the chip for that printer and that is about $12.00 if you ever need one. These kits are sold by many companies but look for the Dampers that have the (flip top) refill openings. No plugs, no open holes etc. The air path is built in.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Just an after thought but don't be afraid to try a printer that has been refurbished by the manufacturer. I have my 1400 that I bought three years ago and it's still doing a good job. I was told that sometimes the refurbished printers are as good as or even better because they come into the Epson shop and they go through them with a fine tooth comb not wanting problems. My $500.00 1400 cost me $149.00 refurbished and it came complete and looked brand new. I liked it so much I sent for another that is still sitting in the box in a closet ready for the day the first one blows up!
I also have "extra" Artisan 725's in the boxes that I paid $99.00 apiece for when they were offered at that price new! The deals are out there if you look for them!