Epson Status Monitor WiFi connection broken after Windows 10 update to 1709

brian_mk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1290
From your linked article: "It happened to "one one-hundredth of one percent of version 1809 installs," he indicated."

When the error rates are this low it probably is due to the user's setup. hardware and/or settings. A corruption in the download is a consideration.

MS re-issued the 1809 update after patching it in November 2018.

The discussion about Windows updates is somewhat off-topic and not very relevant to the problem in hand.
The point I was trying to make is that installing a major feature update to the OS is likely to introduce new problems rather than fix the one problem I have.
I would rather understand the root cause before changing things.

My original post was asking the question whether anyone else had encountered a similar problem after updating to 1709 in case this was a known issue that already had a known fix.
The answer so far is 'no' so I will continue to investigate.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
In the link I referred to:-
I read that now. I had only read the top line post marked as "answer" and not the 3 other posts that were hidden and required a click to see. Thanks for pointing this out. I have often said it may be important to read all posts on a thread and I did not.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The point I was trying to make is that installing a major feature update to the OS is likely to introduce new problems rather than fix the one problem I have.
And OS updates may also resolve certain issues and reason to update the OS.

This is a misleading comparison since (1) you will have to update eventually.

"One one-hundredth of one percent" deletion issues with updating to Windows 10 1809 is very low risk. Additionally, (2) since you now know of a potential issue, you can backup your data before updating. Your risk then become zero for loss of that data. You are going to have to update sooner or later so get it done on your terms as much as possible with safeguards implemented.

Also, the link you quoted from is ~1.5 years ago and it is possible MS has improved compatibility with their firewall / OS as (3) the Microsoft agent hints to check back for a MS update solution to the problem.

For now, we recommend checking this thread every now and then. Microsoft will provide an update as soon as possible.
The linked thread points back to a link you posted previously. Have you read that entire thread to see if the solution is already released for your version of Windows?

I can't see KB4055038 in my update history.
Have you tried that update?

I fully understand your desire to resolve your issue that obviously has been experienced by others as well. Part of the process in conflict resolution is not only to attempt a settings workaround but also install reasonable updates, especially when a Microsoft "agent" has admitted 1.5 years ago that MS has blame and is looking to resolve the problem with an update.

I don't recall you saying if you tried the firewall changes and static IP workaround in the thread you posted.

If the issue is Windows firewall itself then another consideration is to use a different firewall.

Another consideration is a conflict issue with your AV / malware protection or even a potential infection. A scan with Malwarebytes and your AV software are standard procedure consideration when something bizarre occurs, if only to rule this out as a problem.