Epson R2000 already highly discounted ?????

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
mikling, Just yesterday I bought one locally from an elderly gent through Craigslist. About as new as you can get and for,,, are you ready? $150!!!!!! Installed it and it ran perfectly. 100% nozzle check from the start. Will need a Cyan really soon and then a Photo Black and Gloss Op.

Thinking of converting to Refillables which are resettable just like the R3000 refillables.
Will you be having these in the future?

korny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yeah, I was a bit curious about what the "real" price was. Or lets say..what Epson is up to.. It looks like (in USD) the MSRP is $500, and last month (through october) there was a $150 mail in coupon. Now for november, I think Epson are coming out with a new coupon for -$200. That means a new possible net of $300. Well, the guys mikling showed - want to be ahead of the curve abit and shaves off another -$30. (The coupon isnt ready yet?) That sort of explains the price of $270 (I like to round up) But I may be off since the store in in Canada... Im still a bit confused.

It looks like Epson, on the R2000 has raised the price approx 25-30% for the ink compared to its predecessor R1900. I can guess here...that the plan is to aggressively use the ink to subsidize the upfront pricetag, a trend oh so familiar.
I figure about $1000-$1100 per liter on the R2000 (vs $1300 per liter on the prececessor R1900) The ink price trend continues..
So I think Im saying that....Epson isnt actually lowering the price on owning a R2000 - if you stop and think about it for a second or two... :)

Correct me if I got something wrong here guys.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
korny said:
It looks like Epson, on the R2000 has raised the price approx 25-30% for the ink compared to its predecessor R1900. I can guess here...that the plan is to aggressively use the ink to subsidize the upfront pricetag, a trend oh so familiar.
I figure about $1000-$1100 per liter on the R2000 (vs $1300 per liter on the prececessor R1900) The ink price trend continues..
So I think Im saying that....Epson isnt actually lowering the price on owning a R2000 - if you stop and think about i
If that's accurate it belies the trend being shown by some of the other OEMs regarding ink... There's been a whole host of initiatives recently aimed at making the consumables cheaper like subscription plans, etc...

Not read the fine print but with the conspiracy theory tin foil hat on I'd say this could give rise to a few of the following:
- More litigation against 3rd party inks/carts
- Another new chip/cart design that creates problems for 3rd parties
- insanity/desperation (delete as applicable).

... Oh and they wanted to get jtoolmans wife mad at him for buying another new printer! ;)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
LOL!!!! She stays out of my hair ( What hair? ) about the printers as she knows that they are used to make some of the household's money and all the little printing jobs I can do for her ladies group's activities and events.
I don's smoke, drink ( at least not excessively ) or go to girly shows. She knows where I am 24 / 7 and I treat her like the Queen she is!

So who cares about a few printers here and there right?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
... Oh and they wanted to get jtoolmans wife mad at him for buying another new printer!
Its too late to save jtoolman now,
because I think He has setup the local Print Asylum in his area by now..:lol:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
jtoolman said:
LOL!!!! She stays out of my hair ( What hair? ) about the printers as she knows that they are used to make some of the household's money and all the little printing jobs I can do for her ladies group's activities and events.
I don's smoke, drink ( at least not excessively ) or go to girly shows. She knows where I am 24 / 7 and I treat her like the Queen she is!

So who cares about a few printers here and there right?
You could try getting her to explain this to my wife... She might believe it too! ;) LOL :lol:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
websnail, I just PM-ed you with a question.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
korny

you've fallen into the trap of thinking that the external size of the cartridge is indicative of the amount of ink contained inside. That isn't so. On the 1900, the OEM internal volume is not fully used. On the 2000 the complete internal volume is now utilized. This is coordinated by having voids internally and a reduced count on the ink counter on the 1900. Having a price increase on the R2000 OEM cart is warranted because the internal volume has increased.

Epson might have 3 or four designations of capacity on the same external body. This allows them to fragment the market to better meet the needs and price points and allow "new" models bearing the term of "increased ink capacity".

The cost of pigment ink printers has come down actually.

korny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Looks now like I was bit drunk, when I wrote that. I was inconsistent....
Cost per liter on respective model got reversed....

I was postulating that Epson had raised the ink cost (in ml) as they roll from R1900 over to the newer R2000 printer. Detect any trends.

After some digging I guess they did raise the cost, but just a fraction?

Why: I base that on, typical price of these OEM carts and the stated volume of ink you're actually buying, by digging for public data I found:
but I can only hope that these ml figures are right:

R2000: T159 carts contain 17ml: $21.49 ea-> $1264/liter
R1900: T87 carts contain 11.4-11.5ml: $13.49 ea-> $1183/liter

So the difference here is small, ..about +7% (not +25-30% like I stated earlier)