Epson L800 Experience

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
o.k., that's just a few weeks in the sun....

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
20 years is ok
You can not generalize one result out of different test conditions, otherwise I could reply: 5 months are not enough...
"..Although having better performance than the very low stability L355 inks. when used with photo papers, the L800 inks are nevertheless greatly inferior to epson claria dye inks as well as the dye photo inks supplied by HP and Canon.." (wilhelm quote)
This verdict sounds a bit harsh to me, as I found the epson L800 ink better than the most standard 3rd party inks. But it is correct that both claria OEM and fuji DL are far*** more stable than L800 bottled ink. Probablly epson do not want to sell the claria in bottles as this would cannibalise their own claria sellings..
*** how far..?.. looking at wilhelm's results it may last 5 times longer for one same condition..

Last edited:

glasseye

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9800
This is a very interesting little printer. Anyone have any experience running pigment inks on it? That's probably what I'd do.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I didn't try pigment inks in the L800, other people did that with the base model P50 or 1400 with success as I understand it. The L800 uses cartridge inserts in the printhead carriage instead of the regular cartridges, these inserts act like dampers, they have a rather small ink reservoir and a very fine mesh wire filter, it is this filter which may clog over time with pigment inks and creating an impression then that nozzles are clogged which are not in that case, and cleaning attempts would not help. These dampers are available as spare parts in case of need.

Last edited:

Borut

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10s
This is a very interesting little printer. Anyone have any experience running pigment inks on it? That's probably what I'd do.

this is not good idea for that printer tipe head.
buy canon pro 10 or Epson Sure color tipe.

glasseye

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9800
this is not good idea for that printer tipe head.
buy canon pro 10 or Epson Sure color tipe.

Why are pigment inks not a good idea for that printer? Do you have experience with this? I am aware that pigment inks have a reputation for clogging. This is not my experience with my Epson 9800.

I found two videos (in Portugese) that show some interesting details, at least for me. This printer is not available in my market. If I buy one, it'll be an eBay import.

This one apparently shows how to re-prime the "cartridges"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDbzKnXe3Ko

And this one shows how to install a waste tank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vsBSnaggEU

Taksmon

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L805, SC-P600

While you could run pigment ink in it, it's not recommended since these printers (at least on my L805, but I think on all L and ET series printers) have CIS units that feed from the bottom, where pigment is likely to settle. You could be diligent in keeping the pigment suspended by shaking the tank often I guess.

Borut

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10s
And this printer is for dye inks reproduction.
Pigment inks are diferent you need more colors for great prints,gloss optimizer or croma optimizer.....I don't see the point to put in 6 color dye printer pigmetn inks...

buy pigment printer

oroblec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro-10 - Epson L1800
Conclusion what paper will last more and what ink will give a better result for scrapbookers album.

glasseye

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9800
Received and installed my L805 printer yesterday, direct from Taiwan to Western Canada in about three weeks.

Wow! Dye inks are super saturated. Great little unit. Very happy so far. If I don't have fading problems, I won't convert to pigments.