Epson ET-8550 EcoTank All-In-One A3+ Photo Printer

Sandprint

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i990 and i9950
Yes ink Tanks are much cheaper to run, but they can also be troublesome to maintain and the longevity of their inks is an absolute joke, it will fade in weeks, and printing large A3 prints using Wireless connection can also cause an awful lot of printing issues.

O’ and don’t get me started on attempting to print on the new Mac O/S... Good Luck..
Thanks for the reply - you've got me a little worried now!
I'm not planning to print A3 wirelessly, only word documents - A3 photos I would do wired!
I'd read good reviews about the non-fade inks in this Epson printer - am I misinformed?
As far as the wireless printing from my Macbook pro is concerned, there were no available drivers for the Canon MG 5250 printer so I have to put documents on to a memory stick and print from my Microsoft computer instead. Surely the new Epson printer (ET-8550) will be compatible with the Macbook pro!?!?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
the longevity of their inks is an absolute joke, it will fade in weeks,
There are a wide range of Ecotank/Megatank pinter models offered by Canon and Epson with just such mediocre inks in regards to their longevity, but there are a few exceptions to this - the Canon G550/650 models with the GI-53 inks as Chromalife100 inks and the Epson ET8550 with the 114 inks as the Claria inks. These are the best OEM inks you can use; don't use any 3rd party substitutes in these printers, no such inks can meet the longevity performance of the OEM inks.

- WLAN printing - I just wouldn't do it - it may work in your setup and environment but it does not reliably in lots of other cases.

- I'm not familiar with the Mac printing environment

Last edited:

Sandprint

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i990 and i9950
There are a wide range of Ecotank/Megatank pinter models offered by Canon and Epson with just such mediocre inks in regards to their longevity, but there are a few exceptions to this - the Canon G550/650 models with the GI-53 inks as Chromalife100 inks and the Epson ET8550 with the 114 inks as the Claria inks. These are the best OEM inks you can use; don't use any 3rd party substitutes in these printers, no such inks can meet the longevity performance of the OEM inks.

- WLAN printing - I just wouldn't do it - it may work in your setup and environment but it does not reliably in lots of other cases.

- I'm not familiar with the Mac printing environment
Thank you so much for the extra information, I feel more reassured now. I only intend to use the quality inks. I will have a look at the Canon as well if Park Cameras will be prepared to change my order!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thank you so much for the extra information, I feel more reassured now.
Smaller cartridges are no disadvantage unless your printing continually and even then you can offset that with an extra spare set of carts, I once printed thousands of sheets a week and switch my printers from using CISS back to carts because they were more reliable, convenient and less troublesome..

crgrove

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10, Epson XP-960
That's a really bad service not to honor the cashback deal, but yes - there was and is an overall shortage of chips, and printers are as much affected as lots of other products - washing machines - cars whatever........
They should go back to using good, old fashioned cams and relays in washing machines, for awhile! 😂🤣