Epson Claria inks, Fujifilm inks and alternatives

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
thanks, thanks, the sun and ozone etc are doing most of the job. I just hope that I can reach some people who try to find the 'best' ink or the 'best' paper without considering all the other variables which can change the expected performance significantly

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It's the third week for the test Sihl vs. Netbit
Fade06-Sihl-Netbit.jpg

The Sihl paper is on the top, Netbit at the bottom, the inkset is a mix of various dye inks used in previous tests, the overall lightness changes across all colors are the same within a measuring tolerance on both papers, the black is turning into a cholocate brown now.
The same test with the DL inks on both papers shows as well the expected result, there is no difference between the two papers, the fading shifts are much smaller, barely visible at this time, about 1/4 of the changes to this misc inkset. And as shown in the other test above over 8 weeks the Tecco and HP papers are doing even better.
I'm closing this test now, a last test with GO overprints needs to continue for a while - one sheet with pigment inks needs more time to show visible differences.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It appears to me that something is happening in regards to some improved Epson Claria dye ink compatibles - Ink2image is offering a Fotonic XG V2 ink set with great promises - 20% more gamut and great longevity, but pricing is above the Epson 106 inks for the ET-7750, my current favourite.
http://ink2image.com/Fotonic.html
And precisioncolors is as well announcing a new EV6 SE Claria compatible ink - special edition - to come in April , no further details yet
http://precisioncolors.com/
But nothing comparable for compatible Canon dye inks yet.

Last edited:

Phill ODonoghue

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000
we are discussing since quite a long time possible alternatives to the Claria inks, alternative inks which have a comparable fading performance as the genuine Epson inks.
Claria inks are only available in small cartridges - e.g. T080x for the R265 printer with about 10ml of ink, there are no other printers - A3 or else using those inks in somewhat larger cartridges.
I'm using the current sales pricing of about 10€/cartridge (for 10ml) as a reference for this discussion, this makes 1000€/litre - a pricing similar to better perfumes...
Epson and Fujifilm are selling a series of professional printers in their Surelab/Drylab product line, photo printers for photo shops, instant photo prints, printing on roll paper(s). These printers use bigger cartridges starting from 200ml to 700ml which can be tapped and the ink used for refill.
These inks have shown very good fading performance -Aardenburg testing and in several threads like here
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/which-pigment-ink-for-epson-1500w.9323/page-15#post-90597
, much better than most other refill inks on the market - at a price.
A 200ml Fujifilm Dl cartridge with 200ml is sold for 45€ which makes 225€/litre, already down to 25% of the Claria price which is a good deal.
Epson is selling ink cartridges as well for their Surelab printers - Ultrachrome D6 - starting at 200ml , their pricing is overall close to the Fujifilm pricing on a per litre base.
There are plenty offers on Ebay U.S. for discounted Fujifilm/Frontier cartridges with 500ml and beyond the expiration date. It's Dye inks, so settling of pigments etc should not be a problem, and those inks are still usable after expiration. There is no fixed pricing, it runs at 50%-70% of the regular prices, and I would have to pay quite some transportation charge and import taxes which may not make such offer a good deal for me in Europe at the end - and it's a set of 500ml cartridges which may just be too much ink for some users.
I have not seen discounted Epson Surelab cartridges yet.
There are a few companies offering other alternate inks for the Epson Claria or Fujifilm inks, Inkthrift CL by inkjetmall/Vemont ink
http://shop.inkjetmall.com/Shop-By-Ink/InkThrift-CL/InkThrift-CL-dye-ink-220ml-Lt-Magenta.html
$26.93 for 220ml makes 123$/litre, this ink had been tested as well and findings reported in the above thread, you would have to add transportation and sales tax, and you are limited to 220ml bottles which again may be too much as well for some users.
I tested another ink performing similarly - Solution CL by Falter in Poland,
https://inkjetsolution.eu/de_DE/p/SOLUTION-CL-CYAN/711
which is available as 70ml for 8.61€ or 250ml for 29,29€ which makes 123€/117€/litre which is very much preferable for European customers - no duty/tax and lower transport cost.
Looking to their offers of Solution CL cartridges - e.g. 500ml does not drop the cost any further, those
have a higher sales price https://inkjetsolution.eu/de_DE/p/S...FRONTIER-DRY-MINILAB-DL410-MAGENTA-500-ML/708
There is another company in Ireland selling these Solution CL cartridges at a slightly higher price
http://www.imagecreationsupplies.ie/solution-cl-ink-for-epson-sure-lab-d-700-black-200-ml
at 144€/litre (ex tax), and this company does not offer this same ink in smaller bottles like Falter does.

I currently have a Solution CL CMYK inkset on order at Falter, and I'll run the fading test again against the Fujifil, DL inks, it'll take a while, they fade pretty slowly, I'll report findings as they become available.

I haven't included other inks in this little wrap up like the recently tested InkOwl ink claiming 'UV resistance', it runs at $10.95 for 120ml or 91$/litre, the performance of this ink does not match the price to any degree.
Now that Epson has release a range of office printers that use 'Eco Tank' system would it be safe to use these inks to refill carts on my Epson XP-970 which is a 6 ink claria based printer?

My thinking is that I could use the Eco ink to fill Photo Black, Yellow, Magenta and Cyan and use OEM for LM and LC.
Also would the color quality and Archival quality be adversely affected ?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
If longevity - UV/ozone stability - is your concern - you just have a few choices - the may use the 106 inks for the ET7700/7750 and dilute the LM and LC with a clear ink, you may use orginals or you look for larger cartridges for the D700/800 photo shop printers - with the Ultrachrome D6 inks - dye - 6 inks incl. LM and LC - you can drain the ink from those cartridges for refill purposes. Other inks for the Ecotank printers - 103 - 664 - 674 etc do not have the same performance as the 106 inks.