Epson C120 - CIS?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
KeithGP said:
I read all of the messages, but what CIS is compatible and best? The genxinks or the inkrepublic? Or are they both compatible and OK?

Thanks for the information. I have an old Epson 860 and I'm so used to buying OEM inks I would know anything else. These CIS system and a new printer would be great for me.

Thanks,
Keith
For a printer as old as yours I honestly wouldn't know... Genxinks are new to me and in truth I always have a problem with someone who comes on with the "I got this great kit from... XXX shop" only to later disclose that they are the owner of "XXX shop". Honest it isn't.

As for ink republic... I wasn't that keen on their original kits when I tested them out over a year long period, about 3 years ago, but they have moved on since then. Still quite expensive though and I don't know if they'd still do a kit for your printer. You could do worse than ask mind.

Had there not been the whole Epson legal fight in the USA I would have recommended you try inksupply.com for a kit but they've been forced to abandon their CIS kits now so depending on where you are, I'd say think about Rihac.com.au as a supplier with consistently good reviews, excellent support and a higher postage rate.

Doubtless you'll get some other recommendations too... so best of luck :)

Forsurchi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, most CIS sold are pretty much the same. Now I'm not saying their made the same, just in general, their the same. The biggest difference with any system is the ink, and to be honest, depending on the printer you get the system for makes the difference.

Its true, that alot of people have stopped selling CIS, but only because they got scared off. So far there's no layed out rules on Epson CIS. But in fear that they might get caught up and sued, they just ban themselfs from selling it.

The president hasn't even signed the bill that regulates the checks and makes it official for customs to charge for each cartridge imported that are seen as Epson compatibles. But companies like UPS, FedEx, and DHL have already started enforcing it (to a limit). Anything coming overseas by EMS or sea seems to get overlooked.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Forsurchi said:
Well, most CIS sold are pretty much the same. Now I'm not saying their made the same, just in general, their the same. The biggest difference with any system is the ink, and to be honest, depending on the printer you get the system for makes the difference.
I take your point re: the customs and trade side of things but I'm sorry I do disagree with the above.

A lot of the kits available are of similar design but that doesn't make them "the same" by any stretch of the imagination.

Materials, manufacturing process, Quality Assurance, etc... all differ across the board and of course, because the resellers won't talk about who they get their bits from it requires a very tenacious individual to seek out the best manufacturer for individual parts.

Tubing for example... I've seen everything from vinyl to silicon used and right now it seems the "buzzword" is silicon because it "won't harden in cold weather"... Have to love the marketing :rolleyes:

Then you have reservoirs... Some of them are truly awful pieces of rubbish that are badly glued together and leak within a few months.

As to ink, the key issue with this is that the reseller actually retains a consistent supplier and doesn't play with different batches of ink from different suppliers. There are plenty of stories of people buying ink with a kit, then buying new ink from the same supplier to find it's totally different and results in a clogged printer.

Overall, I'd argue that the key components that separates the players in the CIS market are communication, support and research. There are far too many "quick buck" types who just resell something because it's "the next big thing" and have no idea what they are selling or how it works. All they've concentrated on is the profit margin. The minority are those who know their stuff. They will have spent time on getting the right components, have tested them comprehensively and as a result have a higher price but much better product, support and communication.

At the end of the day the old rule of "Pay peanuts, get monkeys" is still very relevant.

KeithGP

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
websnail said:
For a printer as old as yours I honestly wouldn't know... Genxinks are new to me and in truth I always have a problem with someone who comes on with the "I got this great kit from... XXX shop" only to later disclose that they are the owner of "XXX shop". Honest it isn't.

As for ink republic... I wasn't that keen on their original kits when I tested them out over a year long period, about 3 years ago, but they have moved on since then. Still quite expensive though and I don't know if they'd still do a kit for your printer. You could do worse than ask mind.

Had there not been the whole Epson legal fight in the USA I would have recommended you try inksupply.com for a kit but they've been forced to abandon their CIS kits now so depending on where you are, I'd say think about Rihac.com.au as a supplier with consistently good reviews, excellent support and a higher postage rate.

Doubtless you'll get some other recommendations too... so best of luck :)
My bad. I think I made my question vague. I meant that I am in the process of buying the new Epson C120 and I was wondering if we answered which CIS works the best with it. There were some reset issues noted and such. I'm in the USA.

Thanks again.
Keith

Forsurchi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I agree websnail, with the materials point of view (since the majority of CIS are imported from China) but you have to remember that there are companies that monitor the assembly of their CIS from china chinese companies. Tons of companies by their empty CIS from over seas, and fill it with ink they've made in their country. I've yet to see a company that doesn't get their product from China.

KeithGP, if you buy a CIS from any company, just be sure they offer a warranty. This way if you run into any problems, you know your in the greenzone for support or replacements.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Forsurchi said:
I've yet to see a company that doesn't get their product from China.
Well there's mine (although it's not quite launched), MIS used to, Gemini Colours in Holland... They do exist :)

KeithGP, if you buy a CIS from any company, just be sure they offer a warranty. This way if you run into any problems, you know your in the greenzone for support or replacements.
Actually ask for advice up front, look for support forums, etc... Warranties are ok but just don't accept one on ebay... too many BS artists...

paul55555

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Does anyone install CIS on EPSON R280?
Tell me where go get it
Thanks

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
In a bit of a weird twist it seems MIS Associates are back selling CIS kits again which I thought they'd given up on...

Anyways, they have a kit for the C120 but there's a big of an issue it seems with this printer.. To reset the chip you have to lift the cartridge enough to disconnect the chip connection with the printer and then replace to get it to replace. Having seen what Ink Republic have to offer I have to say I think their solution is a lot more versatile.. ie: IR have incorporated a little switch you can flip off and then on again to reset the chips without having to remove anything.

david1965

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
paul55555 said:
Does anyone install CIS on EPSON R280?
Tell me where go get it
Thanks
Both InkRepublic.com and InkSupply.com should have R280 CIS. They both are reported as very good companies to deal with.