Epson C120 - CIS?

david1965

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
RipR said:
Does anyone have a CIS/CFS that really works in the C120?

At least two different kits are advertised, with a dye or pigment ink option, but I have concerns.

1) Based on the U.S. ITC Nov 2007 ruling in favor Epson, selling of such kits (that really work) in U.S. is likely illegal.

Rip
I believe it's about refill cartridges that copy the design of epson's carts.

RipR said:
BTW - Believe the carts in the C110 are the same as in the C120, just one less black cartridge.

Comments welcome....
Rip
I believe C110 is same as C120, just the different chipsets. Both use 2 black cartridges to speed up doc printing.
I've seen the ink level resetting problem in C120 CIS. Some suppliers said the resetting can be done by uninstalling the cis cartridges and putting them back, but it does not always work.

I also saw that InkRepublic has C120 system on their site but not sure how they reset the levels. All I can see is the small resetting button right beside the chipset.
http://www.InkRepublic.com/C120.asp

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
david1965 said:
RipR said:
Does anyone have a CIS/CFS that really works in the C120?

At least two different kits are advertised, with a dye or pigment ink option, but I have concerns.

1) Based on the U.S. ITC Nov 2007 ruling in favor Epson, selling of such kits (that really work) in U.S. is likely illegal.

Rip
I believe it's about refill cartridges that copy the design of epson's carts.
I think that was the initial ruling but from what I could understand from MIS and others, the decision was taken to drop CIS kits as well by those who were IIRC, contacted regarding their sales. From what I could tell Epson was threatening to use the ruling to get anything that used Epson compatible cartridges banned as well.

Interestingly enough I've heard that the reason the ruling was made in the first place was because there is/was no actual cartridge production taking place in the USA. The scuttlebutt I've heard recently indicates that one company are in the process of setting up such a manufacturing plant in the USA and hoping this can/will be used to overturn the ruling. Interesting times ahead.

RipR said:
BTW - Believe the carts in the C110 are the same as in the C120, just one less black cartridge.

Comments welcome....
Rip
I believe C110 is same as C120, just the different chipsets. Both use 2 black cartridges to speed up doc printing.
I've seen the ink level resetting problem in C120 CIS. Some suppliers said the resetting can be done by uninstalling the cis cartridges and putting them back, but it does not always work.

I also saw that InkRepublic has C120 system on their site but not sure how they reset the levels. All I can see is the small resetting button right beside the chipset.
That's interesting... Any more intel on this aspect of things would be appreciated... It looks like IR have developed things further with their iINK2 system. I guess it'll be interesting to hear more from anyone who opts to try one of these kits out.

david1965

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:

That's interesting... Any more intel on this aspect of things would be appreciated... It looks like IR have developed things further with their iINK2 system. I guess it'll be interesting to hear more from anyone who opts to try one of these kits out.
I have not seen any review or feedback regarding epson C120 CIS on Ink Republic website yet, guess it's not their main focus or their c120 cis is still new to the market, but the similiar thing (R280, RX680) is on their knowledge base where shows a reset button and chipset trouble shooting.

http://www.inkrepublic.com/KnowledgeBase/R280Chipset.asp

bottom line is, on the c120 page, it declares the chipset or ink level is resettable.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ah... Thanks David...

It seems Epson have learned from HP with their chips and made it impossible for the chip to reset without requiring human intervention. Either that or the ARC manufacturers are getting lazy (although I somehow doubt that).

That new approach will undoubtedly make the newer printers less sought after for anyone intending to purchase a CIS.. Glad I've been holding on to my C8x models now.

EDIT: Actually looking a little further it does seem a bit odd. I did some searching and found that anyone else advertising a CIS for the C120 is offering the system without the need to manually reset. This doesn't mean that you don't have to do something like remove the cartridge and put them back because I've found that advertising on the HP88 kits (for example) tend to miss out the critical "power off/on" instruction for resetting. Still, n'all I guess a bit more research is required.

Forsurchi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello Fellas,

Epson has actually ruled agains compatible products, but has not yet layed down the rules to what items can and can't be sold. For example, as of right now anyone can sell epson compatible product, as long as they have been remanufactured or labeled remanufactured cartridge. Its kind of like a loop hole. Here's the thing, epson went for the campatible inkjets first, they didn't specify refillable cartridges, or Continuous ink systems. So until now, it is not illegal to sell refillable cartridges, or CISS.

As for how the Epson C120 CIS work, that's pretty simple. There are two methods and are as follows...

1. When the cartridges (both CIS and refillable) reach somewhere about 5-10%, they must be reinstalled in the printer (like installing new cartridges) and the printer will go thru its normal recognition stage to read the cartridges. At that time, the chips generate a new serial number and presto, you have a full ink status.

2. Same percentage as above, but it requires restarting your printer. The printer always goes thru that same recognition stage (that waste ink by the way) to read the cartridges and ready itself for printing.

At times (though very rarley) your required to do both. Not much of a hassle to put up with, better than spending all that freaking money on Epson ink. I just bought a Epson C120 and got my CISS from a retailer named GenXinks.com. They seem fairly new, but have great service and the CIS wasn't that hard to install. The installation is pretty much the same as the R260 and R380. I e-mailed them for instructions before I purchased it, which was great cause I know what I was getting myself into. Anyhow, just wanted to throw in my two cents.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for that info Forsurchi...

I think I'm beginning to understand why inkrepublic have that reset switch now then, because trying to remove their buffers and chips would be a royal pain in the patookis and likely result in damage to the printer.

It does sound like Epson are deliberately making it harder to use CIS's and have gone out of their way to figure out just how to do this though. I wouldn't be at all surprised it they bought up one of every kit for the C/D88 and figured out how they could make it harder to use. Ultimately they're going to end up tripping themselves up though, it just proves they're trying to tie people in.

Ah well...

Forsurchi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Where there's a will there's a way. They can't monopolize, so its always gonna be a challange. But everytime they make an adjustment, the compatible industry is there to twik it with them. They can try as hard as they want, you have to remember that the people make it happen. If Epson told everyone they can only buy their ink and nothing more, they better be ready to give out free printers. Because as I recall, I paid for my printer, it wasn't handed out by the retailer.

Epson telling me to only use their product (ink) is like Toyota telling me I can only buy gas from their sponser. I better be getting that car for free if I'm being told where to buy gas.:p

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Oh I agree Foruschi.. :)

The problem with this change is that CIS kits become more difficult to run and places I could normally encourage to purchase CIS's will think twice because of the additional layer of complexity that's been built in (ie: the whole reset, turn on/off routine). When you're talking about some people that extra layer is just enough for them to throw their hands up in the air and throw a toddler tandrum about how difficult it is.

Ah well... be interesting to see what other tweaks come out :)

KeithGP

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I read all of the messages, but what CIS is compatible and best? The genxinks or the inkrepublic? Or are they both compatible and OK?

Thanks for the information. I have an old Epson 860 and I'm so used to buying OEM inks I would know anything else. These CIS system and a new printer would be great for me.

Thanks,
Keith