Epson C-88 printers problems with one color...yellow

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has had a problem like this with this particular Epson printer but if so please share your experience.
When I first started using Epson Stylus printers I got myself an Epson C-88 and at first thought it was a pretty good performer.
Over a period of time I started getting lines through my pictures and then some weird looking results that proved to be due to no yellow being put through the head.
I did the research and tried using windex and head cleaners of various types with mixed results and then bought myself some empty refillable cartridges which I filled with head cleaners and printed with them instead of inks and that seemed to help but then the same problem was back again! After fighting that battle for some time I just bought another C-88 thinking perhaps i got a bad printer but guess what?
After a time the same thing happened. I had four C-88 printers over a five year period and they all had trouble firing yellow through the heads. Why four C-88's? Just me being a hard head I guess but finally I went to an Epson 1400 and also an Epson Artisan 725 and they both performed perfectly including yellow, and still do to this day!
So the question remains at least in my mind? Was that problem because of some glitch built into that particular model printer? Or was I just doing something wrong?
With one of those C-88's I switched from pigment inks which they were designed for to dye based inks which worked well for a time but then, ( You guessed it) The yellow stopped working. I could usually get it going after a lot of messing about with windex etc but it always went back to problems with yellow! So far I have not seen that at all with my other Epson models! Anyway I set four C-88 printers out in my garage. Do you think I should send them all back to Epson with lemons painted on them or? Say, I'm thinking of target shooting next month! Thats an idea! Let me know if your experience with the C-88 has been better! Happy Printing, Outoftheinkwell!

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I used to have Epson Stylus C88 and have been using it for 3 years or so and have never had problems with the yellow. The majority of my prints were black only though.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Simon
It might be a fluke but it was always a problem with yellow, I tried to figure it out and the only thing I came up with was that the parking pad was very narrow and the yellow was on one edge so I thought it might not get the same protection from drying out that the other colors had!
So far I've not seen that problem with the Epson 1400 or the Artisan models.
When I posted this thread I was expecting to hear more of the same type of experiences but so far just you and as you said, no problem in your experience so I just don't know.
After the same experience with four c-88 printers I'm done with that model for good.
I'm using a RATF chip and dampers that have the little hinged snap shut refill doors on top for easy refill and they are working perfectly so far!
I figure that a refill costs about 25 cents , if that, so comparing that to 18 to 20 dollars apiece for Epson OEM cartridges I'm very,very happy and I can't see a lick of difference between the OEM prints and the CIS prints. Outoftheinkwell!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I am using the same exact carts with the flipper filling doors and chip bank on both my 1400s and the arisan 725. They are great.
Just make sure that before you healf level on ANY color, you top all the carts up. Make that a habit and you will be fine.
That way is any colors reach empty you will actually be only at 50% at worst.
Then you refill again and reset the empty cart using the reset sliding On/Off switch and when done, all carts will be at full.

You said you cannot tell your prints from OEM and CIS. You are not running a CIS you are running refillable damper carts.

Sounds like you are all set. I used to run some of my printers on a CISS and have gone back to either refillables or refillable dampers.
The 2200 and R2400 I am refilling the OEM carts using the one way valves from Rjettek.

Bertil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance but what is refillable dampers?And one way valves from Rjettek?I only know about a vacuum refill tool from this firm but they dont seem to sell for delivery abroad.
Always curious to learn something new.
Bertil

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Refillable Carts have on board Chips. Refillable dampers do not. They just sit in the carriage holder and a bank of chips is held tight against the carriage's contacts with a series of spacer bars.

The Dampers with the flappers never have to be removed, When you need a top off or refill, you just hit the ink button. Flip the cover. Flip open the dampers flapper lid, inject ink till full and close flapper lid.

The one way valves allow you to refill certain and only certain Epson OEM carts. They are sold by www.Rjettek.com but you need other tools to do the job properly. The basy kit will run you about $80 + s/h.

http://www.rjettek.com/s.nl/sc.7/category./.f?search=3233

3233, Super Valve Plug Kit, Epson 1 0 Super Valve Plug Kit, Epson 79.99 79.99

My Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8QspjBbhk