Epson Artisan 730 - Light Magenta leaking puddles - is my printer now a throw away?

Nicholas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 730
A couple of weeks ago I found that when i went to print I had no light magenta coming through, it was completely missing from the maintenance printouts.

I ran multiple head and nozzle cleaning processes, it must have taken 10 nozzle cleans and 5 head cleans before I got a good test print, and through the process had the unnecessary cost of replacing multiple genuine inks. However, once I had a breakthrough and had a 100% test print, the light magenta then started leaking all over my photo and paper prints.

Fed up with the cost of burning through genuine inks I installed a CISS which I'd purchased years ago but waiting for an opportunity to install.

I attempted to clean the printer, first by mopping up the ink puddles inside and then by flooding the park sponge with windex. After doing this I installed the CISS and repeated the head and nozzle cleaning until again I had the light magenta 100% on the test print (it had disappeared completely after the cleaning).

Again, the light magenta started leaking, this only appeared once the test prints showed the light magenta about 98% correct.

Is my printer self repairable? It has hardly been used in its short life?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Multiple repeated cleaning in a short period are to avoided to prevent damage to Eppson (or event Canon) print heads. De-lamination of the nozzle plate structure may cause ink to seep from the head.

Suggest you let the printer rest for several days and try another nozzle check, report back the result.

Nicholas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 730
Just returned from a short 7 day break. Powered on the printer and attempted a nozzle check, light magenta still leaking all over the page. Print check also missing many of the other colours, so would need multiple head/nozzle cleans to remedy.

I have just purchased a cheap second hand Epson TX700W printer, so have more or less given up on the 730. I will probably flog it for parts.