Epson 4880 Stylus Reading Empty Cartridge on Full Cartridge.

ccprinting

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4880 Pro
Hi, I have an epson 4880, it's been temperamental as of late and recently it keeps saying the CYAN is empty, i've bought two cartridges now (I use re-usable cartridges) in case the chip was the issue on the reusable cartridges but that's not the case, not matter what- it keeps booting up saying the CYAN is out.

Is it possible it's mis-reading and it's actually another cartridge that has ran out? The driver won't give me accurate ink levels due to the cartridges being non-manufacturer. I'm not really sure what to do in this case. I know it's possible to override the "Empty Ink" error- but it seems far too complicated for me who relies on the printer for an income.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
Good day,Not sure on epsons but on the canon printers we have they sometimes rejects a refillable ink cart and we have swap in another cart/chip from another refillable or empty oem cartridge.The only thing i can suggest is trying an oem cartridge next also i read somewhere that some printers store some (last 3 sets?) cartridges' serial number and some compatible cartridge manufacturers made large batches with the same serial.I'm not sure whether this applies to your printer (or mine) as it was quite awhile when i read that.

I'll wait on someone more familiar with your printer or at least epsons in general to give an opinion before making a decision though.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
it keeps saying the CYAN is empty, i've bought two cartridges now (I use re-usable cartridges) in case the chip was the issue on the reusable cartridges but that's not the case, not matter what- it keeps booting up saying the CYAN is out.
Try a new OEM cyan cartridge.. but be prepared to get the full set… o_O

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
what type of cartridge/chip are you using - resettable chips , and you do a reset ? Some suppliers of cartridges with such chips point out that you should not let the ink level drop below a specific - low level like 10-15% or otherwise the resetting would not work anymore. I'm not aware of any issues like serialization with cartridges for your printer, that's an issue with P800 and some other newer printer models in some business regions.
Getting a new cartridge as recommended above should get you out of the dead loop you are currently in with this cartridge.

Latest posts