Epson 3880 - Will be the death of me!!

TexAndie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880, Canon Pixma Pro100
Just as an update, I've fixed it! It was a fuse on the mainboard. I don't have the eyesight/dexterity to replace the chip, so I just swapped out the mainboard. Problem fixed. It was a fuse. F5 to be exact. ;-)

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Good to know you fixed it, now both print heads working?

hdtvjeff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread

I have a epson 3800 with only 450 printed pages, I am getting the 131B error, but not on start up, only when trying to print. Sometimes a page will go through without an error and print and other times it will just load the paper then before beginning to print, everything stops cold with the 131B error popping up. I have thoroughly cleaned the head after thinking that was the cause of the 131B, have my colors so it's not a clog apparently. I have also made sure rear paper feed and paper exit trays are unobstructed. Why does the 131B error come and go? I know how to disassemble if I have to but there are no dampers to clean or replace . I read something about a surface mounted F5 fuse on motherboard but not sure if that pertains to 131b . And I can eliminate overheating I think since I can start up from days of no use and try to print a sheet and still have the error pop up after paper is passing through. The anomaly is various tweaks I do to paper slots, ink doors, main door to head etc somehow, sometimes trick the 131b from going away. I am just not sure problem is mechanical or electrical. I don't think it's the head , I have 3 spare defunct 3800's to draw from if I had to. I sincerely would appreciate all input.

I pulled out the printer ribbon cables ( with power off) from mainboard and reinserted. I then repowered and printed, all color, perfect, went to print another sheet and dreaded 131b error stops me in my tracks

Someone mentioned swapping out main boards, is doing that plug or play or do I need adjustment program?

The f5 surface mounted fuse someone alluded to, can that be swapped out?
I also read a thermistor issue might be an issue with 131b errors, would that be a possibility?
Can a head be replaced as plug and play or need adj program?

I once cleaned a 3800 head and damper and printer went for some color to absolutely blank pages while consuming ink and dumping it into waste cartridge so I am afraid to go there

Any help deeply appreciated; wish there were retired epson technicians that did this work on the side

EDIT :
I have noticed something very interesting with that 131b error

Once I do finally get it to print, and use the pc driver to print, I can print unlimited plain paper / speed with NO issues

Once I switch to quality or change paper setting to glossy, it 131b's out

Thank you, here is a video of problem
Jeff

Last edited:

hdtvjeff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just as an update, I've fixed it! It was a fuse on the mainboard. I don't have the eyesight/dexterity to replace the chip, so I just swapped out the mainboard. Problem fixed. It was a fuse. F5 to be exact. ;-)
Did swapping out mainboard require the adjustment utility or was it plug and play without having to import or program in the saved NVRM (I think it's called) from the original board?

Thank you

Jeff

Latest posts