Epson 3880 continuous ink system - need help!

Venice

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I need to keep them. This is what I'm trying to find out right now. I emailed the Inkrepublic and let's see what they say.

I just purchased this printer from Amazon this morning. It would be nice if I could lower the price by selling the original carts, but if I can't, so be it. I'll also get a $200 mail-in-rebate, so the printer price will be a bit lower then.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
You will certainly need the original chips to get the Inkrepublic's I-refill system working except two: the ones which will be occupied by the two tuning chips.

The design of the I-refill system is far more durable compared to the cheaper same size refillable cartridges (more rigid, more sturdy design) and especially the rubber free ink outlet valve of these cartridges is less likely to leak due to rubber starvation. Unlike other refillable cartridges, this seal must be maintained under all circumstances as the system puts pressure in the cartridges to expel the ink into the tubing system. I had desastrous leaking with a cheaper refill system, due to a minute rupture in the rubber material of the ink outlet valve: ink flooded the inside of my printer and the printer lost pressure and gave an error.

The I-refill system also enables the reusage of the maintenance tank, without the need of an resetter. The only con would be the large size, making it impossible to close the ink cover. I think Inkrepublic should design a smaller version of their superior design to make it possible to close the lid. This system is also sold by Inkjetcarts.us and formerly also by Conecolor.com/Inkjetmall.com (Inkjetmall.com now sells the smaller size more cartridges with rubber ink outlet valve...).

You might have a look at this link, which I have started a few years ago and might be interesting for you to read:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4746

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4746&p=2

Please have a look to get an impression about the I-refill and the other refill systems I have tested.

Venice

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks so much Pharmacist, the review is very helpful! I don't mind large size cartridges sticking out, and I'll remove the lid with a screwdriver. I didn't want those carts that need to be refilled with a syringe, it's such a hassle. And I definitely don't want the ink to leak, so I want a sturdy construction. The printer costs an arm and a leg, so I don't want to get it ruined by a poor cartridge design. Or deal with a mess!