Epson 3880 continuous ink system - need help!

Venice

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new on the board. I have a few questions about the Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Color Inkjet Printer and the 3880 i-Refill System with IRK4-nano Ink from the Inkrepublic.

1. I'm going to buy an Epson 3880 printer and get an extended 3-year warranty with it. Will the warranty be voided if I use this CIS system with the printer?

2. I plan to do a lot of printing every day. How often will I need to clean the head if I use the CIS? Where can I get a cleaning kit for this printer?

3. The Inkrepublic doesn't sell a waste ink kit for this printer. Is there any other place I could buy an external waste ink container/bottle for this printer?

And the most important question:

4. Is it possible to use the CIS system right away with the brand new printer out of the box? I read somewhere on this forum (can't remember where exactly) that someone sold his original cartridges to bring the price of the 3880 printer down and used the CIS instead. I wonder if I could do that too and whether the printer will respond to the CIS without first installing the original cartridges.

Thank you!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Venice said:
Hi, I'm new on the board. I have a few questions about the Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Color Inkjet Printer and the 3880 i-Refill System with IRK4-nano Ink from the Inkrepublic.

1. I'm going to buy an Epson 3880 printer and get an extended 3-year warranty with it. Will the warranty be voided if I use this CIS system with the printer?

3880 i-Refill System is totally externally mounted so EPSON would never really know. Keep your original carts just in case.

2. I plan to do a lot of printing every day. How often will I need to clean the head if I use the CIS? Where can I get a cleaning kit for this printer?

Why? This printer should hardly ever clog. But you are mistaken in thinking that the 3880 i-Refill System is a CISS. It is a set of refillable carts.

3. The Inkrepublic doesn't sell a waste ink kit for this printer. Is there any other place I could buy an external waste ink container/bottle for this printer?

Do you even know the specs of the 3880? This printer already comes with a user replaceable waste ink tank. No need for an External Waste ink container or bottle.

And the most important question:

4. Is it possible to use the CIS system right away with the brand new printer out of the box? I read somewhere on this forum (can't remember where exactly) that someone sold his original cartridges to bring the price of the 3880 printer down and used the CIS instead. I wonder if I could do that too and whether the printer will respond to the CIS without first installing the original cartridges.

It is NOT a CISS!!!!!

It's never a good idea to install not only refillables on a printer without first testing it with OEM inks carts.
You first need to make sure your printer is working perfectly before you go installing a CISS. I know you are trying to sell your carts and make up some money spent. You are taking a fairly large chance.

Thank you!

Venice

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Jtoolman for your response!

Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about printers, that's why I said CIS instead of refillable carts. To me they all look the same! :D My printer is a dinosaur R300 and I never used the 3880, just read good reviews about it and thought it might be good for me. I need a printer for printing my artwork and the 3880 seems like a good one, wide enough, prints on thick paper, and the ink doesn't smudge.

I know that the 3880 comes with a replaceable waste ink tank. I thought about a bottle like the one the Inkrepublic has, so that the waste ink is not accumulated inside the printer but is collected externally. I just like keeping everything neat and clean. :) And keep the cost down too. But it isn't a big deal really, I can go the replaceable route too.

As for the clogging - I saw some reviews where people said that their printers with refillable carts clogged, and was wondering how to deal with it if it ever happens to me.

The reason I asked about the voided warranty was that the pigment ink from the Inkrepublic might differ from the one Epson uses in their carts. And I was wondering if the printer breaks down the road, will Epson see that a different ink/pigment was used and void the warranty? I thought some of the ink will stay inside the printer, on the head, or whatever that is, and they'll see it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just trying to think about all sort of scenarios here.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Venice said:
I know that the 3880 comes with a replaceable waste ink tank. I thought about a bottle like the one the Inkrepublic has, so that the waste ink is not accumulated inside the printer but is collected externally. I just like keeping everything neat and clean. :) And keep the cost down too. But it isn't a big deal really, I can go the replaceable route too.
There are chip resetters available (and possibly even Auto Reset Chips) that can be used to reset the maintenance tank but in truth any kind of external waste tank on a larger printer like this may not be particularly beneficial.

If it were me I'd look at the options for resetting the chip and replacing just the pads while retaining the pad holder to keep costs and waste down.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
websnail said:
There are chip resetters available (and possibly even Auto Reset Chips) that can be used to reset the maintenance tank but in truth any kind of external waste tank on a larger printer like this may not be particularly beneficial.
Give me an external waste tank anytime on a large printer,
think of all the headaches that could have saved me, Epson 1 Canon nil.. :thumbsup

Venice

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Websnail, I think it's a good option to just change the pads in the tank. I probably could use something that absorbs liquid well. Now I need to see if I can find an auto reset chip for it.

Venice

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just found some interesting information on the internet regarding the warranty:

Q: Will using your continuous ink system void my printer warranty?
A: No it will not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act states: a company cannot sell a product under the pretense that the consumer must purchase replacement parts, add-ons, etc.. from that particular company. (United States Code Annotated Title 15 Commerce and Trade Chapter 50 Consumer Product Warranties 15 Section 2302)

I can't give a link to it as it won't let me. But this comes from the Earthinkjet website.

Does anyone know if Epson would give you a hard time if they found out you used cartridges other than theirs?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Venice,

You can nort really adapt an external bottle as the waste ink system on the 3880 relies on a chip!!!
Your only reasonable option is to use the Maintenace Cart, and replace the contents when needed, then reset the chip with a resetter.
I believe the Inkrepublic system covers that problem

Now you have to remember that you will need your original color cart chips on the refillable carts unless I am mistaken!
The Pahrmacist is the expert on the systems for the 3800 and 3880. So I will let him address that.

Joe

Venice

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Jtoolman! I looked it up, and the Inkrepublic does have the resettable maintenance cart for 3880 included in the set. I just wasn't sure if this maintenance cart was the waste ink tank or something totally different.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Do you need to keep the original color cart chips????
If so then you will not be able to resell them.

Joe