Epson 3880 and HP Professional Paper?

bobaboba

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
Hello,

I own an Epson 3880 that does an excellent job on Epson paper.
But now I have to print on HP Paper,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-C6821A-BROCHURE-FLYER-GLOSSY/dp/B008UQJ9JE

because it is the only paper that fullfills my needs.
Its 180g, double sided, semi glossy, a3 and not to expensive - but, there are no profiles for my epson printer.

So I tried out different epson profiles (premiumphotosemigloss, enhanced matt, archival matt, glossy, normal,....) but all of those prints do not look good.
The color match is ok, but if you look closer, you see a lot of noise or distortion.

Does anybody know a profile that could work or a reason for this?
I added two pictues of the print results, one is a perfect print on epson premium photo paper semi gloss, the other is on HP Professional Paper 180.

Thank you very much
Andreas

Attachments

• IMG_4308.jpg
    IMG_4308.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 278

bobaboba

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
Hello,
I just found out that the effect is called bronzing. And that HP Paper is probably made for dye and that this is maybe causing the problem?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi bobaboba and welcome, I am not the resident profiler, far from it in fact, but before you pull your hair out maybe you could try a plain paper setting instead of semi-gloss, stranger things have happened..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
For every paper/ink combination which is not supported by the printer manufacturer or the paper supplier it is adviseable to get an -icm Profile measured for your paper, printer/driver settings. That is the only and correct way to get a standardized color representation. The Epson printer works with pigment inks, they are prone to the effect of bronzing, and the effect very much depends on the combination of the ink used and the paper surface, but there is no real remedy to it other than trying to find another paper which meets your needs, and to test that again. It may very well be that this paper would work fine e.g. on a HP printer with HP pigment inks, inks are not alike in this respect. But you are right that some papers are not suitable for use with pigment inks at all, you may find that the adhesion of the pigments is not o.k., you even may get some color on your fingers, or you may get some ugly looking stainy areas on the printout. Promises of paper suppliers 'works on every inkjet printer' are not always valid. As soon as you select other consumables than supported by Epson you need to take some testing into your considerations, the same would be valid for refill/3rd party inks, they are not equal either. You may test other/higher quality settings as well to see whether you can acheive a smooth printout (despite the color variations)