Epson 3800 with vivid M/Lm ink-set

BigInk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello all:

I have an Epson 3800 that I plan to use with refillable cartridges and I need to decide on an appropriate ink-set. I am leaning toward the Ink Republic nano inks. I have a choice on using the standard 3800 inks or the 3880 inks that have the vivid Magenta and vivid Light-Magenta. My question for the group is: do any of you see a problem with using the vivd M/Lm inks in a 3800? I make my own custom profiles, so color matching should not be a problem.

Also, thanks for all the great info I have read on this forum.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
That's a good question. I suppose that the driver and the profiles for the 3800 may not work well with VM and VLM BUT,,,,,, would custom profiles work and what advantage would you enjoy from this Hybrid? I am not sure.
I also though about that as well. I do have a R2880 which uses the same ink set as the 3880 but the truth is, in most images I really do not see the difference between the K3 VM and the regular K3 used by the 3800 and the R2400.

If you do go with the Inkrepublic nano inks, I would love to hear a report on their magenta GLOSS performance.
3rd Party Magenta K3 has never prooven to be as glossy as OEM Magenta.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Jtoolman,

The older IRK-4 nano magenta was a bit disappointing (lack of gloss and a strange hue towards red), but the latest version is very good indeed. Despite the higher price compared to the OCP K3 in my previous tests (satisfactory gloss, but strange bronzing problems) the gloss of the latest IRK4-nano Vivid is incredibly good. Note: it is not advisable to use vivid magenta in the Epson Pro 3800 due to differences in density and might clog your print head.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
As you know I am using OCP K3 on my 3800. Problem, although I am getting truly great color, the gloss performance of their Magenta ( M and LM )
Is pretty bad. So printing onto Glossy or Lusters is out of the question. So I have dedicated it to just Matte and art papers. Every few months I have to switch Modes just to help keep the PK lines clear.

Now on my R2880 which I am also using OCP K3 and their NEW VM and VLM I also have experienced the same dismal glossy performance. GREAT COLOR just no gloss on any hues which utilize Magenta in any way.

I have been scouring EBAY and Craigslist for K3 VM . VLM and M / LM Cartridges for Epson Large format printers and have obtained some 210 ml carts for a very reasonable price.
So I have set up a hybrid of OCP colors and OEM Magenta inks on the R2800. Created profiles with Colormunki for Kirkland Gloss and Staples Satin.
Results are amazing. Smooth Gloss throughout, no bronzing and no gloss differential.
They match what my 3800 with 100% OEM ink was producing.

So you have substituted the OCP magentas for the IRK Nano4 Magentas and you are getting great gloss?
Sounds exactly like what I have done except with OEM Magenta.

I have been able to get 210ml carts VM for about $35-$45 and VLM for a bit more. But you really have to search daily.

By the way, the OCP K3 MK is really dense which really does produce great blacks on Art Papers and Mattes.

OCP K3 in 16oz bottles is costing me about 2.9 cents / ml so I am more than willing to pay for extra OEM Magentas as I am still able to print great images for pennies.

BigInk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I sent an Email to Inkrepublics technical support.

I asked them about ink formulation, density, specific gravity, etc concerning their Epson 3880 ink set (vivid light magenta and vivid magenta)
and being able to use this inkset with an Epson 3800.

Here is their response:

"Dear Tim,

YES, you can use our IRK4-nano inks for 3880 in 3800 and vice versa.
Other than color, the formulations are the same.

Ross"

OK, I'll give it a try.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
jtoolman said:
As you know I am using OCP K3 on my 3800. Problem, although I am getting truly great color, the gloss performance of their Magenta ( M and LM )
Is pretty bad. So printing onto Glossy or Lusters is out of the question. So I have dedicated it to just Matte and art papers. Every few months I have to switch Modes just to help keep the PK lines clear.

Now on my R2880 which I am also using OCP K3 and their NEW VM and VLM I also have experienced the same dismal glossy performance. GREAT COLOR just no gloss on any hues which utilize Magenta in any way.

I have been scouring EBAY and Craigslist for K3 VM . VLM and M / LM Cartridges for Epson Large format printers and have obtained some 210 ml carts for a very reasonable price.
So I have set up a hybrid of OCP colors and OEM Magenta inks on the R2800. Created profiles with Colormunki for Kirkland Gloss and Staples Satin.
Results are amazing. Smooth Gloss throughout, no bronzing and no gloss differential.
They match what my 3800 with 100% OEM ink was producing.

So you have substituted the OCP magentas for the IRK Nano4 Magentas and you are getting great gloss?
Sounds exactly like what I have done except with OEM Magenta.

I have been able to get 210ml carts VM for about $35-$45 and VLM for a bit more. But you really have to search daily.

By the way, the OCP K3 MK is really dense which really does produce great blacks on Art Papers and Mattes.

OCP K3 in 16oz bottles is costing me about 2.9 cents / ml so I am more than willing to pay for extra OEM Magentas as I am still able to print great images for pennies.
Did you know you can set up an auto search on eBay to have them email you matches to your search daily?? Really saves time!

Wayne