Epson 3800 with a clogged magenta channel

TradisRad

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
Hey Nigel, and everyone else here.
I've been gifted an old 3800 that sat for a while.

I've been:
- running cleaning cycles
- nozzle checks

I've been able to get all channels running perfectly except a stubborn LLK channel that is usually blank, but sometimes shows faint signs of life.

I decided to follow Nigel and
- disassemble the printer to access the capping station.
- Cleaning the capping station / wiper
- flushed with print head cleaning solution from bottom till it ran clear. used sensor swaps to clean the underside of the print head while doing this.

- Re-assembled the printer, ran a cleaning cycle, and the Nozzle check was horrible. Worse than when I started.

I'm beginning to lose hope, is it even worth putting any more of my time and money into trying to revive this printer
any sure fire suggestions are welcome. There are signs of life, but I'm just not sure what to do anymore

- T

RiverRat01

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SureColor P-600
I have similar problems with a SCP-600. Before you give up; I would swap in a new damper for the LLK channel. The 3800, as I understand it, uses the same dampers as the SCP-600. They are available on EBay at about 32.00USA for a set of 6. I received a set yesterday, but it will be a few days before I replace the current dampers. If the 3800 damper assembly is the same as the SCP-600, the LLK damper is paired with the C damper. In this case, you will need to remove the PK/MK actuator motor assembly in order to lift out the LLK damper.
If it is the case, that your 3800, after sitting for a day or so, has some live nozzles, but then they drop out after a head cleaning. my interpretation is that there is a clog in the delivery system. The damper is a possible cite of clogging. I have attempted to back-flush clogged dampers with numbers of different solutions to no avail. Thus, I would be hesitant to buy "refurbished" dampers that are sold on EBay.
I could provide much more instruction regarding replacing the LLK damper given that you decide to tackle it. It sounds like you have nothing to loose other than the printer itself. Further, I recommend that you buy a set of 5 or 6 dampers or more dampers. If the printer sat for awhile, the head cleaning your are doing may dislodge sediment upstream from the damper and immediately clog a new damper. It is tricky as hell to flush the lines with distilled water without damaging the assembly at the bottom of the cartridge holder. I can also guide you to how clean the upstream lines without causing damage (you need to use a push pull technique), but I would not attempt this until after replacing the dampers with the understanding that you may need to replace the damper(s) a second time.

Last edited:

TradisRad

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
River Rat,

This is good advice, my research has been leading me to suggest the Dampers need work. But I was holding out for that as a last resort. I'm hesitant to start buying parts and doing serious repairs if I'm not sure the Print head is even functional.

I'm worried the head is just too far gone? is that a thing on these 3800's? It seems like ink is getting through all channels now, so maybe it's not dampers?

Anyways, here's the current Nozzle Check I can get consistently. If I try the head cleaner / windex paper towel soak, and or clean the capping station seals / wiper. the nozzle check gets spotty, then eventually returns to this state.

It's better than it was originally. When I first received the printer 3 Channels were totally blank. LLK, C and M (see second image)

at this point does it even make sense to keep running cleaning cycles? how about a Power Cycle, which I was told not to do because it uses SO much ink. Power Cycle seems to me just an advertisement for Epson ink. lol.

Attachments

• IMG_4501.jpeg
    IMG_4501.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4502.jpeg
    IMG_4502.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 77

RiverRat01

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SureColor P-600
Rad,
The dampers I just received for the 3800, after waiting 2 weeks, are not correct for my SCP-600. I gambled that the 3800 and P-600 used the same dampers. I lost that gamble. They are too high. Very close to compatible, but no cigar. Thus, I am back to reconditioning my existing dampers. I have three damper assemblies for the P-600. Are you state side? I can send you a couple of 3800 dampers to play with.
Do you have refillable cartridges? It can get stupid expensive to troubleshoot with OEM Epson ink.

TradisRad

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
River Rat,

Aw man, that's a bummer! I'm sorry to hear that.

I am state side yeah. I do have refillable carts, and a plethora of "empty" (lol, epson) OEM carts that I've been harvesting ink from. so luckily, I've not spent any money save for 2 maintenance carts.

-T