Epson 3800 with a clogged magenta channel

Andreas S

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro 3800, Epson 1400
I'm using 4 3800 to do tests with our soft and I stated that clocked nozzles in the magenta cartridge wont harm the prints seriously. The reason is that the printer uses light magenta if the coulours you are printing do not exceed 30% of magenta in the composition. But even with 100% magenta sheets (for measuring I have to do stupid things) I've never seen a problem and my printers are more clocked then yours.
If you want to be on the save side just use Gutenprint, a very good open source RIP. There you can set the number of passes up to eg 4 and this will automaticaly resolve any problem with a few clocked nuzzles.

Nigel Harris

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800
Thankyou, both. I'm arriving at the same conclusion, namely to just get on and use it. That's very helpful feedback Andreas, appreciated.

One outstanding question I do have relates to the inkset I should use in the future. I was intending to switch across to some cheaper inks (Lyson, from the UK Marrutt website), however I put on of that on hold when I encountered the nozzle check issue, as I didn't want to change anything whilst I was diagnosing the issue. With all of the fault finding and cleaning I undertook, I now have a full set of refillable cartridges and more syringes that I can shake a stick at, and am now intimately acquainted with the innards of my printer! So, can anyone advise if the Lyson inks are worth the savings offered versus Epson, or are these likely to prove a false economy? Am considering a phased switch over, replacing each ink line on an ad-hoc basis as the Epson inks start to become low.

Andreas S

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro 3800, Epson 1400
Am considering a phased switch over, replacing each ink line on an ad-hoc basis as the Epson inks start to become low.
That's not the best idea as this will come up to create à new profile every time you are replacing a line in view to have good ouput. That means that you might loose the savings you made with the ink by "useless" consumption of ink and paper.
The only way to know if the ink of any supplier is close to OEM would be to measure and compare printouts of every channel. And the prints have to be done on the same paper with the same printer…

jaygrovr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
Hi guys, I have a 3880 that is having lots of issues with only the lower half of the nozzle check on every color. I originally had the famous issue of the matt black ink leaking, so I had the printer apart. I am wondering if I should run some cleaner through each of the head connections? I have run about 4 power cleans now, and the missing lines seem to be in exactly the same spot, but different for each color. Attached is a scan of the current nozzle check. It doesnt seem to matter what I do, the same result. Any suggestions would be welcome. I am using refillable carts with inkowl ink. I have tried soaking the head with paper towel and windex, but someone mentioned that introduces air into the heads. I have run two power cleans after the soaking (this is days apart).

Attachments