Epson 3800 - LFP Remote panel

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
I looked up with search "Epson 3800 LFP remote Panel", but there is nothing about that subject in this forum.
I have my 3800 already since 2009, but never managed to undo the greyed out LFP in the Utility.
I tried again but to no avail.
Can anybody tell me why the LFP is greyed out and how to bring it to life?
Thanks,
Harry

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Be the jeepers Harry you have had your 3800 for six years and are only asking how the friffin thing works, Now ! :gig:gig

Welcome to the forum mate you have many a friend here who’ll no dough have the answer for you.. :hugs :D
Don’t take this seriously…:hide

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 9500, pro-1
I looked up with search "Epson 3800 LFP remote Panel", but there is nothing about that subject in this forum.
I have my 3800 already since 2009, but never managed to undo the greyed out LFP in the Utility.
I tried again but to no avail.
Can anybody tell me why the LFP is greyed out and how to bring it to life?
Thanks,
Harry
Hi, @Harry Briels ,
My educated guess is that the LFP remote panel is separately installable software that needs to be properly installed to be recognized by the Epson utility. So I would suggest that you find the version of the LFP remote panel software corresponding to the installed version of your utility and (re)install it.
Good luck.

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hello @berttheghost
It would be rather primitive if I would ask for help without first trying to solve a problem.
I first tried to find the LFP software and that is not easy. There is a lot of rather confusing LFP software.
To keep a long story short I finally found:
"Epson Remote Panel 2 Utility version 3.01 Epson 16746.dmg; 31,6 MBs; Oct-29 2014",
Which I downloaded and installed?
However when I open the utility it still shows a greyed-out LFP!
Harry

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hello @berttheghost
It would be rather primitive if I would ask for help without first trying to solve a problem.
I first tried to find the LFP software and that is not easy. There is a lot of rather confusing LFP software.
To keep a long story short I finally found:
"Epson Remote Panel 2 Utility version 3.01 Epson 16746.dmg; 31,6 MBs; Oct-29 2014",
Which I downloaded and installed?
However when I open the utility it still shows a greyed-out LFP!
Harry
Hi @Harry Briels ,
I haven't done anything with OSX in over 10 years, so the only thing that remains of my experience with their install tools is vague feelings of anger and frustration. You might try checking the installation log. Did you find the download on the download page for the 3800? Is the version of the remote panel utility that you downloaded the same as that of the printer utility? It might be that the version of the former is incompatible with the latter. You might try downloading the corresponding version of the printer utility and (re)installing it. Other than that, you might try the Epson support forums.

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Good morning:
As goes from the description of the LFP download, I mentioned earlier, it clearly is for the 3800 and it is described in the title as "Remote Panel2 utility"
Epson is not really well organized in the field of customer service (whereby it takes ages to receive an answer to a question and often such an answer is not to the point).
Poor user manuals. Please show me a really good one for the 3800!
Also their sites are far from service oriented often with lots of of enigmas like as an example: "Epson LFP download 325819.dmg" where the Installer.app can not be openend because of "unidentified developer"!
You are talking about 'Epson Support forums', so far such a forum offering useful support I have not yet encountered!
I will just forget about LFP!

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Harry Briels ,
I worked for 40 years doing software for a variety of computer related hardware manufacturers, so I know only too well how and why things can go wrong, For your purpose, it's best to understand that the people developing and supporting the software generally do not have the freedom to consider the many ways in you or any other customer may want to install their software. They package it in a way that makes sense to them and that's what you get.

I believe that it is therefore best to treat the LFP remote panel as a bundled part of the 3800 driver and install it as part of the driver installation. The various programs in the driver package need to work with the installation program to successfully complete the install. A good way to do this is to install everything needed from the same driver package. The Epson support site has a web page for the 3800 driver, get the driver for your version of OSX and also get the corresponding uninstall utility. Use the uninstall utility to remove your current driver, printer utility, etc. and use the installation program in the downloaded package to install the driver and utilities.

I downloaded the driver package and tried to verify its contents but I don't have an OSX system and the tools available to me haven't helped. That might be a good place for you to start. Good luck.

Edit: I'm sorry if this sounds an any way self serving. I tried hard to not rant about how things were and are still, and this is what was left.

Last edited:

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
@berttheghost,
I very much appreciate what you are writing and I will give it a try in the way you suggest.
I just wonder whether the driver (9.33) will indeed also bring the LFP function?
I have this most recent driver and it doesn't include LFP.
Harry

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Harry,

The cause of your problem may well be software related and Mac O/S is great at causing total confusion with installations.

When you download and install the printer drivers, the one you are missing is the LFP, and it could be that this driver may not be 64 bit sanctioned and therefore your O/S won’t install this particular selection and so leaves it out and give no warning or explanation..

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
@berttheghost,
I very much appreciate what you are writing and I will give it a try in the way you suggest.
I just wonder whether the driver (9.33) will indeed also bring the LFP function?
I have this most recent driver and it doesn't include LFP.
Harry
@Harry Briels ,
I did eventually manage to expand the driver package that I downloaded. It's around 40MB in its original compressed form and expanded into a 60 MB .pkg file. I can't tell for sure without being able to execute the installer, but it does appear to contain the LFP remote panel.
BTW, be sure to follow the correct install instructions for network attached vs USB attached printer. (the network installation appeared to require an explicit extra step to install the LFP remote panel.)