Epson 2880 leaking ink - How can I fix it?

Utahphotographer

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Whenever I change an ink cartridge, the next time I print, I get little ink dots all over the print (like the printer is leaking ink). They are always gray/black dots. I'm only using ink cartridges from Epson. After a few prints, it goes away, but I'm waisting a lot of ink and paper to get rid of it. Is there another way? I tried turning the printer on and off but that didn't seem to do anything.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You might want to clean your purge pad and the sponge are to the far left of the printer platen. This should be done every month.

Joe

Utahphotographer

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Every month! Holy smokes, that's so good to know. I've never done it. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do it. But, um....dumb question - how do I go about it?

Utahphotographer

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Joe. I appreciate this, and will be so glad to take a look at the video you suggested. I don't get smudges, though. I get small ink drops on the next few prints, whenever I change an ink cartridge. Will this video still apply to what I'm experiencing?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
When you insert a new cart, the printer will perform an ink purge cycle and so if your purge pad is clogged up or dirty it may not fully empty itself of all the excess ink produced during the purge. So the bottom of the head will have droplets on it possibly???

Anyway since it does seem to go away after the first few prints that would make believe that you need to cleans those areas.
Some people have to do it every few weeks as part of their maintenance routine. I do it once a month times seventeen printers.
My video shows a few of the techniques you can do. There are a few more but those are only done to fix specific problems.

Joe