POW.PNG

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This is one Photo contest that has been totally forgot about altogether. :(

The Boss himself has set this one up and despite this no one seem interested in it at all.:hu

We got off to a good start with @ThrillaMoziia posting his contribution of photos, followed closely by @Roy Sletcher and @3dogs, and then Roy gave us another few for Christmas and that was it.

To Welcome in the New Year, one of our newest members @Hector Vilches posted his 3 contributions, and @Per Carlsson follow with his colourful photo and again that was definitely it this time.

There’s been a famine, a desert or zilch, call it what you like but since January not a darn one, so now that we have spring in the air, can we please please have a few more, otherwise this completion will be akin to a one-way trip to Mars.

Just in case you had forgotten the rules and the prize, here is Rob’s first post introduction again:- http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/official-printerknowledge-picture-contest-3.10452/

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
There’s been a famine, a desert or zilch, call it what you like but since January not a darn one, so now that we have spring in the air, can we please please have a few more, otherwise this completion will be akin to a one-way trip to Mars.

Strange that print-folk are so reluctant to submit. Especially now that you see people and society "clicking" everywhere. In the streets, restaurants, sporting events, etc ad nauseum.

So we know that PK folks have lots of good stuff on their hard drives. Uploading an image is a lot easier than making a good print - couple of clicks and it is all done. This is probably the reason for the unfortunate decline of good prints in the amateur photography universe.

rs

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Is that a cultivated orchid or in its natural environment?
It's from an orchid show. I guess that's kind of cheating. :) I have only rarely seen wild orchids here in the American Midwest. Most are unspectacular, but one of the most gorgeous ones I've ever seen was here. Unfortunately, it was about the size of my little finger nail.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@ThrillaMoziia, could you not have used Macro to catch the little guy ?
I suppose you could have called it thumbnail..:plbb

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I wish I had had a macro lens at the time. I really lusted for a bellows and focusing rail, but that all costs hard-earned $$. And yes it would have been a thumbnail.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Would you all like to see the original, straight from the camera? This is not another entry. It's just a hint for people who might be shy about submitting a photo. It's also a way of bumping the thread. ;)
IMG_4023.jpg
The background was already dark, but I just spent a few minutes more on dodging to darken it further. It's a very basic photo technique, and with digital imaging it's more useful than ever. Other than trimming it, I don't think I did anything else to it. I usually manipulate the brightness curve a little--most often by resetting the black and white points--but sometimes also adjusting the curve in the middle to brighten or darken certain areas. As I recall, in this case I don't think I changed the curve at all. All this is standard photographic technique. I didn't do any additional sharpening or any heroic manipulations.

As posted, the picture may come out too dark on paper (I haven't printed it yet). I don't have a calibrated monitor, and with my monitor the calibration usually affects darkness more than subtleties of color. I'm not very persnickety in my working methods. Many photographers insist on obtaining raw files instead of jpegs, but I don't do that. This engenders pity from some photographers. ;) I don't actually have the computing wherewithall to develop raw photos at the moment, and wouldn't have time even if I did. In any case I like to get the exposure pretty close without a lot of post-processing manipulation, and so far I have been able to trust the camera to do what it does.