Dying "Disposable" or "Single Use" Syringes

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Back to the topic for just a moment. Well, it will take me longer than a moment, but that's not new, for me.

With the natural curiosity of an engineer, I proceeded to experiment with lubricants for my 50mL Mono-Ject syringe. This syringe uses a rubber or rubber-like seal.

Apparently the original syringe has some form of lubricant on or in the seal material, and it is the loss of this lubricant that causes the eventual sticky performance. I tried to find information on the web concerning what the lubricant might be. I never found any definitive information.

Experiments were done with various petroleum based lubricants, and no positive results were obtained. Two glycols were tried with absolutely no lubricant type results. Glycerin seemed promising as it freed up the piston, but failed a time test. With glycerin on the seal, motion was quite smooth, but when the piston was allowed rest at one position for 1 or 2 minutes, it was quite stuck in position. Extra force would make it release and then move smoothly, but even a rest for a second caused a mildly stuck seal and this was deemed a useless result.

Things had been said suggesting silicone lubricant might be the original, so I decided that would be next tried. I put a small coating on the seal and re-inserted it into the syringe body. It immediately moved smoothly. It does not seem to get stuck as did the glycerin experiment. I now have to wait overnight to see just what happens. After overnight I plan to clean off the seal and see if any lubrication action remains. In my use for the 50mL size, I only use it to draw a vacuum and not for ink filling. I would caution against the use of a silicone lube if there is any chance of contaminating inkjet ink.

Perhaps much more important to any who want a syringe that lasts longer is a different one I found. Its trade name is Norm-Ject, and is made by a German company. The ad line is, "NORM-JECT syringes are latex free, contain no rubber, no silicone oil, styrene or DEHP and are DNA free. ...". This is a syringe that is still in the disposable category, but has a polyethylene seal which is naturally slippery, therefore requires no lubrication at all. I expect this syringe to last much longer than the ones with the rubber seal. I have not yet identified a source for small quantities. I am working on that. So far the smallest quantity I have located for sale is 50 of the 30mL or 100 of the 10mL size. On eBay, the 50 each 30mL sell for $45 with free shipping. Not bad, but what will I do with 50 syringes, especially if they last longer than normal?

Grandad, your off-topic entry was enjoyed by many, so it was really worthwhile. Thanks for coming in.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Cannonfoder

If this is what you are talking about I do not believe you will like them for pulling a vacuum.

http://www.air-tite-shop.com/p-15-norm-ject-luer-lock-syringe.aspx

http://www.birdsupplynh.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=555

The plunger is one solid piece and when pushed or puled in the barrel you see and feel the bulge of the hard plastic plunger as it travels in the barrel.
These syringes are intended for a one-time injection of a nasty fluid or paste. I had one that I used for injecting grease and the barrel split open on the second use.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I use “Terumo” syringes and have no such problems they have rubber like seal and are lubricated. I clean the lubricant on new syringes to avoid ink contamination and have no problems.

However I did have similar problems with other brands.

I also wonder what the lubricant is. Is must be not dissolvable in alcohol because most medications are alcohol based and if the lubricant could dissolve in it than that means it can be injected into ones vein with the medication?

Also if it is silicone based it is not safe either nobody want plastic in their veins.

The amount is very different too, some syringes have very little others have 5 times more.