Dying "Disposable" or "Single Use" Syringes

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I thought that I would add something else that has proven useful when refilling (sorry for this off-topic post). With 8 different inks, it is difficult to keep the various bottles from falling over, etc., and my wife isn't exactly thrilled when I walk through the house carrying bottles of ink. These photos show an animal cracker container that has been given new life.

In the bottom are two pieces of 2x4 that have holes that hold the squeeze bottles and scallops on the back to hold the 4 oz bulk ink containers that have been opened. The deck screws keep the 2x4s centered. When a squeeze bottle is empty, it is refilled from the bulk container. When a new bulk container is opened, it is placed behind the corresponding squeeze bottle.

Benefits:
1. There is no searching for any color.
2. It is easy to see how much ink remains (is it time to reorder?).
3. With the lid firmly screwed on, any mess is contained within the cookie jar, even if I trip and fall. I may break a leg, but that is preferable to getting ink on the carpet from my wife's point of view.

You can also see the rubber stoppers used to seal the needles.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
websnail said:
Just a thought but silicon lubricant and ink is generally a bad idea... I've heard that with the Canon printers at least it tended to kill the heads and/or clog jets.

That's third hand but I remember it cropping up in discussion about the Canon CIS and issues I was having.
Come to think about it, I last did this with an epson r200. I switched to bottles for Canon, mainly because it was easier.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Mmmmmm just throw away the syringe when it is no good anymore?

I can see it now, we cartridge recyclers save the earth from millions of ink/toner cartridges, only to replace them with millions of worn out syringes.

Might I suggest, taking the seal off the syringe, and throwing the syringe into your plastics recycling instead of the garbage.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Grandad, I love it! Thanks for the pics! :)

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Grandad
I was talking to my partner about your idea on safe ink movement around the house, she said that there should be a section for wife's and partners of reinkers to tell of the misshaps that we would never reveal to fellow inkers, eg going to a dinner party with different coloured fingers and creative cartridge cleaning(lucky kitchen tiles wipe clean).

You are very lucky being allowed to be allowed near the carpet with inks, I wouldn't tempt fate that far.!!!!!!!!!!

Bob
Aussieinker

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Bob, I think you are onto something! I can't tell you how often I've gone to work, church, dinner with "inky fingers"

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
nifty-stuff.com said:
Grandad35 / stratman, I'm going to go buy a couple of these. What size do you recommend? Are the bottle "heads" pretty universal / interchangeable?
I purchased the 4 oz squeeze bottles since I was buying 4 oz of ink. See http://www.howardelectronics.com/kahnetics/squeezebottles.html for an overview of the bottles. I bought the "JG4.0BC" because I already had needles (which came packaged with caps) from www.alotofthings.com.

The Luer Lock heads work beautifully with Luer Lock needles. While you can, and I have on several occasions, started a new cartridge with this setup, ie a never been refilled before cartridge, I will be using a spare needle and syringe to make the first pass through the sponge-cartridge because the syringe gives you more stability and a more positive feeling with that first skewering. I'm not refilling at that point, just making a first path for the actual refilling to be done subsequently. Once that first pass is done, all subsequent passes (the actual refills) feel like you are passing the needle on rails.

You'll understand if you get the bottles - they are on the soft side and the bottle head has softish Luer Lock threads. Why stress them out if I don't need to. I am not saying the bottles are inferior, because they are not. Just trying to keep them in good order as long as possible. I have no desire to go back to syringe filling or pollute the garbage dump with plastic bottles any more than needed.

As an old commercial once said - try it, you'll like it!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Grandad35:

Nice supply jar!

I get the feeling you've done a ship-in-a-bottle project before? ;-)

I keep my supplies next to the utility sink in the basement. Concrete painted floor that laughs at ink spills, at least it would if it ever occured! (knocks three times on wood)

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Grandad35
Those squeeze bottles look good.

What kind of cap to bottle seal do they use?

PS: I have the correct BD brand rubber seals for needles if your stoppers ever act up.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Ron350,

Here are photos of the top and bottom of a cap. You can see the lip seal on the inside of the cap that fits tightly against the inside of the bottle neck. It is possible that the cap also seals against the outside of the bottle neck, but I can't be sure. This system has worked well for me, as I havent had any leaks from any of the 8 bottles that are in use.

Thanks for the offer of the needle caps; Ill keep it in mind if my rubber stoppers act up.