dye ciss system ...

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
i see The Hat the tubes moving freely, but my printer wide format the tubes goes inside more maybe long tubes cant work in this case!!?
i would like tend to use T clip coming with product to hold tubes.

i am understood you friend cause tubes generally used to hold liquids then if there is no thickness in liquid then its better, this thing we find in DYE ink moving more easy in tubes because its viscosity low if you please or any know in science give us in numbers about this ???:drool

my avatar its look big, i try find smaller one.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
issa2011 said:
my avatar its look big, i try find smaller one.
Your avatar is fantastic. No need to change it. :thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
issa2011 I am understood you friend cause tubes generally used to hold liquids then if there is no thickness in liquid then its better, this thing we find in DYE ink moving more easy in tubes because its viscosity low if you please or any know in science give us in numbers about this ???
OK a little misunderstand to you here on my part, the ink viscosity is higher but that would not stop it passing through the tubes.

Dye ink when mixed together with its liquid stays mixed and doesnt separate at all.
Pigment ink is likened to sand mixed in water when allowed to settle the sand sinks to the bottom,
pigment particles act much the same as sand inside a CISS and will settle in the tubing when left unused over time.

You would need to agitate both your printer and CISS regularity to prevent this happening which is of course you cant do 24 hours a day.
The CISS system that you bought is a straight forward one that works for everybody and it is designed to use dye ink only
which works extremely well, but is bound to failure when used with pigment inks.

As I said before when you get youre CISS up and running you probability wont notice
that you are using dye inks and you will be perfectly happy with its performance.

Have a look at this thread by mikling on a CISS he made up for use with pigment inks that works.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=33555#p33555

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
The Hat said:
OK a little misunderstand to you here on my part, the ink viscosity is higher but that would not stop it passing through the tubes
in my past post i mean dye ink compared to pigment ink, as you said pigmented ink like sands in water it need more air pressure to push in tubes because its haeavy particles need more force.
as i read in net the viscosity for printers ink from 550 to 2200 cSt , Honey 73 cSt .. but this is look too much high number, i think they mean the solid ink.

the viscosity of inks around 40 cSt (compared to water is 1 cSt) as i read in the thread by Grandad35:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=195
so we see here ink at general has low viscosity. OK The Hat?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Hat, interesting about the CIS being dye only. I'm not very familiar with CIS's, and didn't realize some were dye only. Also interesting about Mikling's being OK with pigment. Do you know why one might be suitable with pigment while another is not?

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
ThrillaMozilla said:
Do you know why one might be suitable with pigment while another is not?
I hope someone answer me this question where i can find answer ?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
OK, what happens with pigment ink is that it is not dissolved in the liquid but it is actually particles that are suspended in the liquid.

With pigment some particles will drop out of suspension and eventually settle. The degree of dropout can vary.

With most prepackaged CISS systems, the ink tanks have the ink feed lines exiting from the bottom of the external tanks. This is exactly where the particles that have settled will end up. Over time, if pigment ink is used, it will can end up blocking the exits of the tank. So let's be clear, it is not that the CISS will not work BUT over a period of time it might end up causing feed issues and problems. I don't want anyone saying hey..mine works. it's just that there are better ways to go about this over a period of time.

If you use a drop tube system, the drop tubes will pick up the ink from the bottom but from above the settlement or sediment. This minimizes the sediment within the system internally inside the tubes and damper cartridges or cartridges. This also allows for easy maintenance of the system in the event that you want to clean out the tanks. With prepackaged CISS system where the tanks are attached to each other, this is more unwieldly.

Of course you can use dye on drop tube systems.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ThrillaMozilla said:
Hat, interesting about the CIS being dye only. I'm not very familiar with CIS's, and didn't realize some were dye only. Also interesting about Mikling's being OK with pigment. Do you know why one might be suitable with pigment while another is not?
Without being technical the standard CISS on sale today feeds ink from tubing that is connected to the very bottom of each tank,
where as in the mikling CISS the ink is feed from tubing which is connected through the top of his tanks and stops short of the bottom.

The standard CISS when used with a pigment ink will clog these tubes that feed the cartridges
once the printer is left unattended for some time due mainly to ink settlement.

With the mikling CISS this cant happen because the pigment ink particles cant block the over head tubing
even when left unattended and will only require a quick shake to reinvigorate the ink once again and ready to print.

Im sure Ive explained it correctly but if I didnt then correction is on its way..:lol:

Mikling just beat me to it

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
i see in net some ciss pigmented ink and other one dye... ok ?
the price of pigment is double compared to dye ciss, why?? because of ink or because of CISS design ???
can any tell me ?

i know miklink CISS sucks ink from top to avoide cloging, why you not try leave some space from buttom (like water tank) maybe this is diffcult design to implement??

i think no different between two systems kinds.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
mikling said:
With most prepackaged CISS systems, the ink tanks have the ink feed lines exiting from the bottom of the external tanks.
Bingo! Very clear now, thank you. Thanks also, Hat.