1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Florida MG7720 Print problem...
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Draining a Canon cartridge

Discussion in 'Canon InkJet Printers' started by ghwellsjr, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Apr 16, 2015
    timdafweak

timdafweak Getting Fingers Dirty

Printer Model:
    Pro 100
    Why would over drying be a problem The Hat? I might've left the cartridge overnight that way : ( Have I ruined the cartridge?

2. Apr 16, 2015
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    This issue of over drying your carts is not a real problem at all and it won’t ruin you carts either, but you can sometime believe you have a big problem with the sponge, because the dry sponge can be extremely slow to thoroughly absorb the new ink. :eek:

The cart will still deliver the right amount of ink even dough it doesn’t look like it will..

timdafweak likes this.
  3. Apr 17, 2015
    Pentode

Pentode Fan of Printing

Printer Model:
    ip8750 and ML3050
    How about a compressor with the paper towel as a filter and collector for emptying... just an idea I had, an hoover hose if you could adapt it to the tanks outlet..... come on, gi mi 1 out of 10 for trying.

I wouldn't be tempted to drying them too quick with too much heat, we don't want deform the sponge or harden it, I'd say longer to dry the better.

Dave

4. Apr 17, 2015
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    I reckon your over thinking the whole idea of this sponge drying thing, because it’s not that hard to do, @Ghwellsjr’s method in the very first post of this thread is probably the best effective way ever of drying a cartridge sponge (10 out of 10) without fear of causing damage.

But you got to remember that these sponges are fairly robust things and don’t damage to easily anyway, unless you literally cook them, with chemicals or heat.

Another method described by @pearlhouse was to wrap the cartridge in a paper towel and place it inside a sock and swing it around for a minute, that works too only faster, but nowhere near as effective on the Ghwellsjr method.. :)

5. Jul 18, 2015
    CharlieSummers

CharlieSummers Print Lurker

Printer Model:
    Canon MG5320, more
    Was actually going to ask for a recommendation for quality ink for refills, thanks to you and Thombar for the pointer.

6. Aug 11, 2015
    John R

John R Printing Apprentice

Printer Model:
    Pixma Pro 100
    Since PC already has you put a 5/32" hole in the cartridge so the plug fits perfectly, you can put a 5/32" hole in an orange cover and suck out the sponge. As an added bonus, you can put the silicone plug in and clear out the vent above the sponge, pulling air the whole way through.

I do this for the only Canon printer I have, a Pixma Pro-100, which would be CLI-42 cartridges.

Attached Files:

7. Nov 14, 2015
    Jimmy

Jimmy Newbie to Printing

Printer Model:
    canon 9000 and now a canon pro
    After pulling as much distilled water, other liquid, or ink out with a syringe, I found I could use my medium KOH hepa jet II lens blower to blow air through the fill hole and out of the discharge port. By blocking the discharge port, I can clear the vent of water as well. The blower has a one-way valve in it so it works pretty well. I then pack the cartridges using the paper towel method as mentioned here in this thread.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015